New city and new country!

Ljubljana Travel Blog

At the airport before taking over

In general the flight to Ljubljana was pretty uneventful. Well, except for this lady who was on the plane! I won't get into it but I have never seen someone who looked so weird and dressed so funnily before haha. The flight was good and we got a coffee and ham sandwhich yay. The end of the flight was not so good though...I don't like turbulence or when the plane makes sudden movements and we basically flew over Ljubljana and then did a HUGE turn to get back and it was all shaky and very uncool, I was freaking out.

Ljubljana airport is really small and there was no immigration or anything to go through when we arrived. We collected our bags and then outside we got a ride into the city centre for 5 euro which wasn't too bad.

Flying to Ljubljana!
The instructions we had from the hostel said to take bus #9 for 5 stops. We got to the main bus station and I bought my train ticket down to Rijeka to get my ferry eventually to Korcula. It took us ages and ages to find the bus stop as all we could see were the big coach stops and not the public city stops. We eventually found it though and it was 1 euro. By accident we got off 1 stop to early and decided to walk the rest of the way. It wasn't a long walk but it was very hot and I hate having to walk with my massive pack on my back!

When we got to the hostel the owner wasn't there and you need a key card to get in so we just sat outside for a bit. Eventually we went round the side where there was a room with an open door. The girls inside let us in to get to the main area of the hostel so we could at least put our bags inside.

Ljubljana airport!
This would eventually turn out to be the room that we would be staying in and these girls our room mates haha. Well after we got the bags inside we went back outside to the grocery store that was right across the street to get something to drink and some bread to go with out peanut butter! When we got back though the girls were gone so again we were stuck outside but oh well.

Eventually the guy came and we got checked in and what not. It was 15 euro a night and there is free internet and kitchens to use. You can do laundry for 5 euro and you can also rent bikes to go into the city. Once we got all settled we went back to the store to buy some decent food that we could cook for dinner. We ended up getting the backpackers meal (pasta) with some chicken and brocolli. It took us AGES to cook everything up as the stove tops were really hard to work and not very hot...they weren't like regular stove tops, it was all done by buttons and then sometimes they would just turn off! Eventually it was all cooked and I won't lie, it was delicious!

After dinner I went upstairs to go on the internet and I met 3 American guys named Abe, Christian, and Jim. They were planning on going to Croatia as well and were just trying to figure everything out. So I told them my plans of getting the train down to Rijeka and then getting the over night ferry to Korcula and they thought it sounded pretty sweet and asked if they could come with me. I said yes and just like that I had 3 new travel companions. That's what I love about being a backpacker...you meet new people and friends just like that! After I checked all my stuff on the web etc I had a shower and then just went to bed as I was pretty pooped...3 days partying in Paris will take it out of you!

Ljubljana