Cross Cultural Conversations

Salvador da Bahia Travel Blog

The beautiful courtyard at the Museu Carlos Costa Pinto and some Baianas preparing for an event
Living in a house with people of all ages from different parts of the globe is a cultural experience in itself. While I was at CCS Brazil, there were volunteers from age 18 to 58 from the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and all over the United States. Though we all spoke some form of English, there were definitely many cultural differences. Even going from one US state to the next can be like traveling to a foreign land. It's really easy to get into a habit of hanging out with just your roommates and others who are most similar to you, but it's good to branch out every once in awhile. So one night I went out with a different group of people to a chill bar in Barra.

Our group of four that night represented four decades and two countries. We exchanged life stories and had really interesting conversations over a few caipirinhas. As an American, I envy the ability of people from other countries to take so much time off of work to travel. Julie was in her 30s and from Scotland and her company let her take three months off- six weeks to volunteer and then another six just to travel around South America. Kathy was from the east coast and in her 40s. She had a lot to say about employees she had hired of my generation and what appears to be our inability to stay in one place. I bet more vacation time could change that! She did say that she admired the opportunities that we had that weren't available when she was our age. And she thought it was cool that we had the chance to volunteer abroad and have other great experiences while we were young. Bunny (a nickname) was in her 50s and was originally from Ireland but living in England. She actually lived in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 1960s and had a lot of great stories about that. It was good to take a short break from going out in large groups and the crazy Brazilian nightlife- it was definitely one of the coolest nights I had.

Other long weekend events included dinner at Sato, a sushi restaurant over looking the beach in the Porto da Barra neighborhood and a reggae club in the Rio Vermelho neighborhood. It was pretty much what I had done the weekend before and I was slipping into a routine- if only I had more time to continue my routine! My roommate Romy and I decided to check out the Museu Carlos Costa Pinto. I had walked by it several times without knowing it was a museum. It's a mansion that's been converted into a museum and it gives a great glimpse into what life was like during Salvador's colonial days. There are rooms set up and decorated the way they would have been in colonial times and jewelry, art and other artifacts on display. The museum and the property are really nice so they hold a lot of events there. They were setting up for a fun looking event as we were leaving. We contemplated hanging around and crashing it but we decided we didn't have on the right attire to pull it off!
Pearl510 says:
This all sounds so wonderful :)
Posted on: Jul 03, 2007
travelman727 says:
Great blog! You have a real talent for conveying your adventures in an entertaining way :-D
Posted on: Jun 12, 2007
The beautiful courtyard at the Mus…
The beautiful courtyard at the Mu…
Salvador da Bahia Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
If for some reason you're looking for Japanese food and an upscale experience Salvador, Sato is the place to go. It's located in the Porto da Barra ne… read entire review