Volunteering in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil- Introduction

San Francisco Travel Blog

Before I even set foot in Bahia, I knew I would love it. I had done quite a bit of research on the area and was intrigued by how much the African culture had been retained over the centuries and the similarities between Bahia and Ghana. I also knew that in some ways, it was more developed than West Africa with a relaxed (and sometimes frustrating ;) third world atmosphere. But even with all of the documentaries and books and research, it was still a very foreign place to me and I was very drawn to it. In addition to wanting to travel to Salvador, I had also been interested in volunteering abroad but was very apprehensive about a two year Peace Corps commitment. So I researched several short term volunteer abroad organizations and came across Cross Cultural Solutions. I chose CCS because I felt like it was the safest and most comprehensive option for traveling to Brazil for the first time because Brazil is very well-known for its crime. I knew there was a wide gap between rich and poor in Brazil and it generally was race-related. I felt that I could be a good role model to the youth of Salvador and figured that if I was living and working there, I would come closer to being immersed in the culture and understanding what it was all about.
wandafromtexas says:
just about the most amazing part of Brasil! Great you could help the young people there!
Posted on: Dec 15, 2013
jendara says:
Bahia, Beautiful place!!!!
Posted on: May 28, 2008
gooseberry says:
i like how you express your thoughts. :)
Posted on: Jan 24, 2008