The World's Slowest Bus Rides and Sketchiest Medical Facilities

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Goodbye Vang Vieng
I woke up early to gorgeous blue skies and packed to catch the bus up to Luang Prabang. After saying goodbye to Livia, I rushed over to the travel agency to wait around. Still have a fever, this sucks. The bus was supposed to leave around 10am and arrive around 4pm.

No suck luck.

The road from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang is only about 60-70 miles, but the bus ride took about 7 or 8 hours. While the road was one of the most scenic I'd ever been on, I felt like shit and just wanted to get there. Luang Prabang is way, way up in the mountains, or at least I think it is based on the bus ride. Either way, I think everyone on the bus would have liked the trip to finish a few hours sooner.

After getting into town I checked into a guesthouse and immediately took a tuk-tuk to the hospital.
Hello Luang Prabang
My fever didn't feel as bad as the night before, but I still felt horrible. I don't want to know what it was the night before, because when the nurse took my temperature the thermometer said 104 degrees. Shit.

I ended up spending about four hours in the hospital. They gave me some pills for the headache, hooked up an IV, gave me a shot of something for the fever, and did a blood test. The good news is I don't have malaria or dengue fever (I was really, really, really worried). The better news is that whatever they gave me worked, because my fever dropped to around 99 in the four hours I was there. When I woke up the next day I felt fine. Oh man, am I glad - I was completely ready to be on the next flight to Bangkok.

Total cost for hospitalization, handfulls of pills, IV, shot, and blood test? About $38.

Lonely Planet has this to say about healthcare in Laos: "There are no good facilities in Laos; the nearest acceptable facilities are in northern Thailand."

I feel pretty much better now, save for a weak appetite. Phew.
Luang Prabang