Kolmården Zoo

Kolmarden Travel Blog

Sign on entrance of Kolmården Zoo.

First thing I heard after waking up after sleeping couple hours was the rain (well actually my alarm clock, but right after it). It started to rain already hour or two before we got to our sleeping place and we hoped that it would have stop during the night. On those two hours that we were awake before zoo opened, the rain turned to downpour! But because of our schedule and because me and my friend are both a bit (or not so bit) crazy we put on so much clothes that we could (I had three shirts, jacket, two pants and two pair of socks) and walked into the zoo. My friend had rain cloak and I used umbrella before I bought rain cloak too. We already had visited to Kolmården Zoo a year before and back then it rained too! Is it a curse?

When zoo opened we walked there.

Mother bear with baby-bears
Even before we had get to ticket sale (not long distance from parking place) my shoes were completely wet. But something good about rain: There weren't lots of people on the zoo. Just some other crazy tourists who had come long way to get there. Worst thing on rain (forgeting that my fingers freezed 'cause I forgot my gloves) was that some animals were taken inside of the rain. Wild animals didn't mind about rain, but animals like goats and mini pigs were inside so we didn't see them.

It was really fun to see how some animals had changed from last our visit. Baby-bears had grown bigger. Their mother looked at me when I was taking picture. It looked like she was thinking: aren't my babies photogenic? :) Some animals were like on out last visit, lynx, reindeers and those other animals with horns (don't remember what they are called).

Catching the food.
We saw two leopards on really good place, but pics unfortunately don't look so good that could look if I would have taken them with real camera (I used then still camera phone). One peacock was standing on dining area under a roof. It looked really beautiful on that place.

This year I was prepared to this part of the park: entrance of tiger world. When you walk under arc (entrance of tiger world) you can hear tiger's roar from big speakers next to arc. I got really scared of that voice last year, but this year I already knew to expect it. My friend didn't remember it and she startled when she walked undet the arc. Last year there where three tiger puppies and their parents, but puppies had grown much and I couldn't even tell which ones were puppies and which their parents.

Seal swimming in odd position.
We happened to be there when they were feed and it was fun to watch, though those big lumps of meat were nauseous. Foxes were cute. We went again to see dolphin show. Last year it was dissapointment, but this year it was much better; it was longer and more fun to watch. Last year we forget to go see penguins and seals, but this year we remember them. Seals were really cute. One of them swimmed circles in really odd position (I can't even describe it) and other one sitted on big rock and posed to cameras. Penguins were standing far away from where people could look at them so we didn't see them closely.

In this point rain almost stopped. Next animal we went to see was my favourite: Enzo, young gorilla which we joked last year to be my lost twin brother.

ENZO!
:D Enzo was again really cute. One other gorilla was really lazy or so it looked like. He was lying with his legs againts wall. I think that gorilla was Enzo's father. Other gorillas seemed to be pretty lazy too, except Enzo who jumped around, runned from place to another and climped many times from up to down and otherwise. Well, isn't that what kids do? :) Rhinos and elephants had been taken inside because of the rain, but their hall was open so that people could go to see them. Elephants were calms, but rhinos were dueling. One rhino pick a quarrel with other two rhinos in turns. Maybe he had woke up with wrong foot or he didn't like about the rain? My friend really wanted to see meerkats. First they were hiding on their holes, but some point they came to see if the rain has already stopped.
Camel eating grass.

One of the last animals we saw inside of the park were camels. One camel was eating grass really close to road where people walked (they were on "lower level" so that they could not attack on people, but they could reach up to eat grass from "upper level".). I had already see camels from far distance, but at so close camel looked different. At this point we decided to leave and go to safari park.

Still I think it's exotic to drive on same cages that animals are in. After rain they were a bit wild and there were zoo-workers taking care that if animals walk in front of car they will scare them off. In one point one baby bear walked in front of our car and sitted there. It didn't take long time before zoo-workers came with their car and bears near of us run away.

This animal rubbed her horns on a car before us!
Last year one giraffe almost kicked our car, but this year that didn't happen. One other animal did almost something like that to car before us. I don't know what that animal is called, but it has really big and sharp horns. She was standing next to driving road with her puppie (no, you can't call that kind of animal as puppy, but I couldn't find a word that fits to it). She (I think it was she, not he) rubbed her horn on a car before us! When we passed her she looked us carefully and I jumped off my seat 'cause if she would have stick her horn on our RV it would have hitted on me. Fortunately nothing like that happen and we got off safari park without any damage.

After leaving from zoo we drived almost whole rest of the day and night to Copenhagen (Denmark).

Camel eating grass.
This animal rubbed her horns on a …
This animal rubbed her horns on a…
Father bear
Penguins
Lazy gorilla
Lazy gorilla
ENZO!
Drinking monkey. I really like abo…
Drinking monkey. I really like ab…
Dueling rhinos
Dueling rhinos
Meerkats
Meerkats
Wolfes on driving road.
Wolfes on driving road.
Bear in front of our car.
Bear in front of our car.
Inside of tunnel on Oresund bridge.
Inside of tunnel on Oresund bridge.
Kolmarden