Rome - Italy

Rome Travel Blog

I came to Rome on the EuroStar train. A tip for prospective travelers: If you have a Eurail Pass take the Regional trains if at all possible. They are a bit slower, but the non-regional trains have a flat reservation fee of 15 Euro!!

When I got to the Happy Days hostel in Rome I was able to type out my entries and catch up.

The hostel had a good television, sound system, and movies. I wasn't too concerned with touring Rome yet because I know I will be back at the end of my trip to finish up.

We watched the movie Shooter first. Then, after I cooked some delicious tortellini thanks to Mrs. Di Matteo's guidance (I gave her a ring) we watched th Gladiator... WHILE IN ROME haha. Pretty cool to see a movie where the main action is taking place in a historic sight so near to where you are.

My completed pasta dish. Mmmm

After the movie I went walking around the city with 6 friends from the hostel I had met. We saw the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain (which I hear is better by night anyway). I didn't have my camera on me so I will have to go back and get some photos. It was really cool to see the Trevi fountain especially because it is what is on the cover of this journal Ashlea bought me as a gift for my trip. When I first got the journal I didn't even really know what it was haha.

Just a note though: As appealing as it may be, do NOT jump into the Trevi fountain.

We saw someone who did. He got a 160 Euro fine. When his two friends (A guy and a girl couple) started asking the police for identification and arguing on his behalf the police took their passports and fined them 60 Euro. Now they have to go to European Union court to get them back. At least I just got my wallet stolen haha... knock on wood.

photo by: vulindlela