Savoring Saigon – So Pho, So Good!

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

@ Pho 24

After a 5-hour bus ride, I’m back in Saigon.  We were dropped off at Sinh Café, near where I checked in.  Rested for a minute and I was out again in the streets of Pham Ngu Lao.

Hungry, I opted for some Vietnamese food.  I was drooling for Vietnam’s most famous dish, ‘Pho.’  This time, I decided to try out Vietnam’s Pho 24 as recommended in Lonely Planet.  When I found the place, I was hesitant to go in.  It was just too posh with its dimmed lights, artful decor, uniformed waiters, and air conditioning!  -- Just the complete opposite of my first ‘Pho’ encounter.

Since I was at their doorsteps already, I might as well try it.

Pho
  When I got in, the aroma from the pho bowls was overwhelming; it made me starved.  Ordered a bowl and when they served it, it came with a plate of chili, onions, lemon, bean sprouts and herbs that I didn’t recognize.  It was delicious!  Though it’s quite pricey than the pho at hawker stands, Pho 24’s broth was just so mouth-watering.

After finishing my bowl, a couple of Pinoy guys arrived and we began chatting, which ended up with an invitation for a cup of coffee.  Since I’ve already tried Highlands and Bobby Brewers, Saigon’s famous coffee shops, they brought me to Fanny’s, which is in old French colonial building.  When I got their menu, it was all ice creams!  So, where’s the world-famous Vietnamese coffee?  I was longing for some drip-brewed coffee and these guys took me to an ice cream parlour!  Not ‘fanny’.  Anyways, their ice cream looked delicious so I ordered one with a cute Vietnamese hat on it.

After that ‘Fanny’ experience, we gulped down a bottle of Saigon beer at some bar in Bui Vien Street and called it a night.
@ Fannys