AsiaMacau

Lost in Translation

Macau Travel Blog

To Macau!

Goodbye Hong Kong and Hello Macau!!!

Come 12 o’clock noon, we went to Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal at Sheung Wan, bought tickets for HK$134 each, passed through the Immigration desks, and later, comfortably seated at TurboJet’s Catamaran.  Travel time was about one hour.  I slept for the entire ride.  I woke up with my mom’s cheers as she saw the Sands casino.

After my passport got its entry stamp and walked out of the immigration desks, we were swarmed by the hotel reps of the 5-star hotels in Macau, holding up their placards, and touts offering tour rides to the city.

with my mudra
  After passing that crowd, I went inside the tourist information office and gathered maps and other touristy crap pamphlets.  After learning that there is a bus going to the Centro, we headed to the bus terminal, hopped in bus 3, hoping that this was the right bus.

Later, I realized that we have been traveling for about an hour already and the pamphlets says that we should be in the city center by mere 15 to 30 minutes coming from the ferry terminal.  I figured we have missed our bus stop so we immediately got off the bus.  I started asking around for help, but the only replied I got was a head shake.  We were officially lost.  Hungry and lost.  And no cab in sight.  So we hopped in again to bus 3 so that we can go back to the terminal and get a cab from there.  Then, I heard some Tagalog words from a couple of ladies sitting in front of us.  What a relief!  They told us where the bus stop was and even shared tips about Macau.

Finally, we were at Avenida de Almeida Ribeiro, the main avenue of Macau.

along Avenida Almeida Ribeiro
  Starving and tired, we immediately went inside the first fast food chain that we knew and saw, Pizza Hut.  I was surprised when we were already inside.  I never knew Pizza Hut would be this posh looking!

After some pizza and pasta, we started walking to Rua da Felicidade, where budget hostels lined up.  We had trouble looking for a place to stay as most hostels that we passed by where either fully booked or charging us way over our budget.  Finally realizing that we cannot find a cheap hostel, we got ourselves a room at Hou Kong Hotel.

Tired of all the walking, mom and TitoMel slept.  As for me, wide awake and excited, did my itinerary as I wanted to cover all the must-see sights and attractions as much as possible with little time that I’ve got in Macau.

Roman amphitheater daw

First stop on my list was A-Ma Temple.  As I was beginning to prepare myself for all the walking again, my mom woke up and decided to come with me as she won’t allow me to do it on my own.  Temples and ruins are not her thing, and I informed her that, but she insisted.  So, OK.  I waited for her to dress up and it was like taking her forever.  I wanted her to hurry up as the temple closes at 6 P.M. and it was already 5 in the afternoon.  I also told her about that and it was as if she did not hear me.  Hmmmm.  I figured she may be doing it intentionally so that I will miss it and go to other places instead, the ones that she likes.  When she was all ready, it was already 5:30 P.

Senado Square
M., impossible to get to the temple.  She won.

So, we did it her way -- went to the gold-plated Sands Casino.  I did not go to Macau to gamble as I do not gamble.  Although I know how to play some cards -- poker…blackjack...baccarat -- but usually no money involve (as I do not have one).  Anyways, so when my mom was all busy playing the slots, I left and went to this nearby Fisherman's Wharf, a sort of shopping center and theme park "village," which was just across the street, not my type really but I had nowhere else to go.

So about this massive supposedly entrainment complex, well, I was not entertained at all!  It was all fancy and artificial -- lots of replicas like a fake volcano, historical architectures like Tang Dynasty Fortress, Roman amphitheatre and other Roman-themed buildings, and a variety of shops/resto themed on famous landmarks from Cape Town, Miami, Amsterdam, Spain and other cities.

For me, it was such a boring place.  So, when visiting Macau, skip this place, as there are so many REAL historical sights to see.

Ruins of St. Paul

After spending some time there, I decided to go the REAL sights; hailed a bus and off to Largo do Senado.  When I got there, it was full of Pinoys and Pinays.  I got to talk to some of them and I learned that if in HK, Pinoys have HSBC, in Macau, Senado Square is their spot.

Then following the signs, I reached Macau’s most famous landmark and one of UNESCO’s World Heritage Site, The Ruins of St. Paul.  Without a doubt, it was a beautiful sight.

Then I went back to Senado Square, enjoyed the Portuguese-style streets and buildings.
Ruins of St. Paul
  It was like as if I was in old
Europe (although I have never been to Europe, just saw it in pics, but I WILL go to there…hopefully in the near futureJ).  My Euro-trance was cut short when I received a text message from my mom asking me to go back to the hotel as it was near midnight.  Sigh.  Killjoy!
ice9van says:
Thanks Rosemarie! :D
Posted on: Oct 24, 2008
sweetnchoco says:
Hi!
Enjy reading your journal.
Posted on: Oct 24, 2008
jen_proudlypinay says:
ayayay... si mother talaga! =)
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
The Post
The Post
themed buildings @ the Wharf
themed buildings @ the Wharf
Rocks Hotel @ Macau Fishermans Wh…
Rocks Hotel @ Macau Fisherman's W…
gold lotus flower
gold lotus flower
magkano kaya to pag sinangla??
magkano kaya to pag sinangla??
Pinoys @ Senado Square