Fengshen Brought HK to a Halt

Hong Kong Travel Blog

wet HK

My Ocean Park trip was cancelled, thanks to tropical storm Fengshen.  Frank, are you following me?  You caused heavy loss of life when you came to Manila and nearly cancelled my flight to Hong Kong.  And now, you’ve really ruined my trip.  I missed Ocean Park when I first visited Hong Kong way back in 2006 and I missed it again, thanks to you.

I have read at some headline that it is rare for a typhoon to score a direct hit on Hong Kong.  Usually, the storm takes its greatest toll elsewhere in China.

Am I cursed, jinxed?

But I could not just stay in bed, I had to go out.  It’s not everyday that I get the chance to travel.  So, I decided to meet Fengshen.  However, when I went out of our hotel, strong winds slapped my face.  Fengshen is just too strong.  There was no way that I can go to the Ocean Park.  But I cannot go back inside and just waste my day on some Chinese crap on telly.  So, I went to shopping malls instead, as I do not have much choice.  Do not get me wrong as I am a big fun of shopping malls (especially when there is a big SALE sign on it, as I am a sucker for discounts and bargains), but I did not go to Hong Kong for these.  Mega-malls are not also new to me as we have lots of mega-malls in Manila.  In fact, we have one of the largest shopping malls in the world -- the SM Mall of Asia.  And I think that all shopping malls are practically the same.

Nevertheless, I spent half of my day mall hopping.

hanggang tingin na lang
  I toured the well-designed shopping malls in the Kowloon district as well as those in Hong Kong Island -- The Landmark, The Galleria, Prince Building, Alexandra House, and the IFC malls -- where I found the Who’s Who of the international designer scene.  I saw the names of Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, Armani, Dior, D&G, Miu Miu, and of course Prada.  There is even a building that holds the Armani collection, from Armani Bar to Armani Casa to Armani Fiori to Armani Dolci.  That place exudes the aura of luxury and elegance, and I felt so out of place, so I ran out of the building.

I may have browsed almost all of these shops, but when I got out, I was not even carrying a single shopping bag.  Actually, I almost did.  When I went inside one of the Prada shops, I was about to buy a uber cute handbag that I found in the Sale section, but when I converted it to Philippine Peso, it was about PhP14,000.  WTF.  A small handbag, even smaller than my hand-me-down Prada, for that sum of money!  And I even found it in the Sale corner.  So I did the right thing, placed it back on the shelf, walked out of the shop, and never turned back.

Lesson learned:  Never ever enter those shops again, even though they may have big and bold letters that say SALE on them, as I DEFINITELY cannot afford it.

ice9van says:
Ahahaha! I'll take your advice Kuya Ted! :D
Posted on: Jul 19, 2008
ted332 says:
Inday, magtyaga ka na lang sa Greenhills. Tutal nasa pagke-carry lang yan. Check mo lang maigi spelling ng tatak. Siguraduhin mo PRADA, hindi PARADA! Ha ha ha!
Posted on: Jul 19, 2008
ice9van says:
Nakow! Tapos na ako sa stage na yan! At ayaw ko naman ma-headline ano! Matinggerang Pinay sa HK, Huli!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2008