Ang Pucha sa Cam Pu Chia -- Badluck starts @ $5

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

bugs for sale

Today was another long bus ride back to Phnom Penh.  Though I have been warned by Andy and Dimple that there is nothing much to see in Phnom Penh, still, I decided to visit the city as I was intrigued by it and found it charming when we passed by it on our way to Siem Reap the other day.

This time, I booked a seat with Mekong Bus Express.  My bus leaves for Phnom Penh at 7:00 A.M., and at 6:45 A.M., they picked me up at my hotel and transferred to a bigger bus at their bus terminal.  I had the front seats all by myself again.  :)  Just like, Sapaco bus, this bus was also huge, enough space for my legs to stretch, and yes, they too served light meals and bottled water.

bus scene
  But unlike Sapaco bus, the bus conductor, once in a while, tells us some info about the places that we passed along, just like a travel guide, which was cool.  At least I knew where we were.

By 12 P.M., we were at Phnom Penh.  With high hopes and excitement with the big city that awaits me, I hopped out of the bus with a small map in my hands and walked bravely into the streets of Phnom Penh, ignoring every tuk-tuk drivers that were offering me rides.

The hotel that I had in mind was about 4 blocks from the Mekong Bus office.  Well, it looked near in the map so I decided to walk, for sightseeing too.

Royal Palace
  But the heat was unbearable!  I was still halfway and I felt like fainting.  When I found the hotel, I immediately booked a room.  After about a few minutes inside my room, I felt uncomfortable.  It had an awful smell.  I sprayed my Origins perfume, yet that awful smell still remained.  But I was tired of looking for another hotel and I just told myself I won’t be staying here long, just for a night’s sleep.  Then, I left the hotel and looked for something to eat.  I ended up at KFC as I was craving for a hot & spicy fried chicken.  While eating, I can’t get my mind off the hotel.  I just had a bad feeling about it.  I was really troubled that I decided to go back and left my food unconsumed.

When I got back, then I realized what I have gotten myself into!  I already noticed the bar when I first got there but what I did not realize was that it was a “hostess bar.”  That explains the smell!  When I got inside my room, that’s when I noticed all the yucky stuffs!  OMG, I had to get out of there!

So, there I was, on the streets of Phnom Penh again, under the scorching heat of the sun, looking for a place to stay.

kid @ Independence Monument
  I decided to check out the hotel that I passed by awhile ago on my way to KFC that looked clean and “family-oriented.”  My second hotel may be a bit expensive, yet still under my budget, but this was way way better than the first one.  Exhausted from my mishap, I took a quick nap.  I woke up at around 4 in the afternoon, took a quick shower and went out, hoping that the touristy places that I was planning to see were still open.  When I reached the Royal Palace, it was already closed, as well as the nearby Silver Pagoda.  :(

Outside the Palace, it already looked superb, how much more inside!

I walked a few blocks and reached the Independence Monument.

@ Tonle Sap River
  There I had the chance to talk with the locals.  From them, I learned that all the markets closes at 5 P.M., including the Russian Market that I really wanted to check out.  Now, there’s nothing to do.  I went back the street in front of the Royal Palace where there’s a nice garden with the perfect view of the Tonle Sap River.

All that strolling made me hungry, so I headed to Sisowath Quay where restaurants lined up, found some posh cozy restaurant and decided to treat myself with a sumptuous meal to console myself after my failed attempt earlier that day to be cheap.  With a full stomach, I checked out the stalls around the street selling second-hand items.
  Yes, ukay-ukay!
:)  But, it started to rain so I hailed a tuk tuk and decided to get back to my hotel as there’s a bar downstairs.  When I got there, it was full of Aussie oldies; not my kind of crowd.  :)  So I grabbed a beer, drank in my room while watching Wowowee at TFC, wishing I was back in Siem Reap as it was more fun there.  :(
ice9van says:
Hehehe, pinag-isipan ko talaga yan! Effort yan day! :D
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
jen_proudlypinay says:
Nice title huh!
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008
andiboi says:
funny experience you have there... nice blog and i love the title, Ampuchea talaga! :D
Posted on: Jul 31, 2008
Angelina...40 years after.
park
park
@ Independence Monument park
lonely post@ Independence Monument…
lonely post@ Independence Monumen…
ice @ Independence Monument
ebidensya ng katangahan
ebidensya ng katangahan
Phnom Penh Hostels review
Dirty DV8
Don’t get near this guesthouse. Don’t even think about it! There’s no reason to stay here. I can give you a hundred reasons. Or maybe just 5… read entire review
Phnom Penh