Got Ink? (Living Dead Tattoo Shop)

Nevada Travel Blog

Rat Fink on the wall! Whoo Hoo!

So, Melanie and I were driving down Rainbow Blvd the other day when she spotted the Living Dead Tattoo shop and it was actually open!  We have both been waiting for the shop to open so we could get Nickhole to work on some designs for our planned tattoos.  I was really excited to see it was open while I am actually in town so we made a "date" to come see her today.  Mel was a bit apprehensive because she is still in that undecided phase of exactly what or where she wants hers.  She's got some great ideas, she just has to pick one to start and eventually, she can get her whole back done!! HA HA (Sorry Mel!).  Mel and I had hoped to get some of our work done in September anyways when Julz and Jillian were in town as we were all going to go together but it looks like half our Tattoo TB crew will be absent during that time.

OMG...let's do this!
  :-(

For those unfamiliar with the Las Vegas tattoo scene, it's not all what you see on the Ink shows and some of the best artists (like Nickhole) are off strip - the artists in Living Dead all own the shop and came from the highly regarded Skin Factory.  Nickhole is going to be doing an AWESOME piece for my right leg, part of which is a cover up.  I've already had 3 tattoos removed (or still in the process) that I got when I was very young and at a different point in my life...you live and you learn I suppose.  But I still love tattoos and plan to get a few more.  Most people will think I am nuts for this but anyone who knows me knows what a Disney fanatic I am.  She is going to do a whole Nightmare Before Xmas design up my leg - a big Jack and Sally, as many of the other characters we can fit in and then a really colorful background.

Getting started on the new color
I am so stoked-not sure how many sessions it's going to take but I am guessing 3 to 4 perhaps depending on the size and detail we choose.

So, while we were sitting there I asked if anyone had availability this week to do a retouch on the color in my foot tattoo of Pooh Bear.  My options were right then or at night on Friday or Saturday so I opted to just go for it.  Mike, who used to actually run the Skin Factory location was available and said he'd do it for me.  SWEET! Tattoos are not cheap and poor Melanie about passed out when they quoted me $70 for the color. Usually shops have minimums anyways and considering you pay by the hour usually, it's about right for Vegas standards.  My leg is probably going to cost $1000-$1500 by the time I am done.

No turning back now! LOL
..hopefully not but that is my best guess right now.

Obviously, I ended up getting my color redone and yowsers, it hurt a little more than I remember the first time around. The foot is a hard place to tattoo and one of the more painful ones.  One of the other artists came up and commented how well I am taking it as most people have a tough time with it.  Amazingly, I was fine before that but now...uuuugh, I am starting to feel the pain! HA HA HA.  About 40 minutes and it was over! WHEW.  Melanie was the good TB and took lots of pictures while I sat there grimacing.  She has a lot to look forward to when we come back!! HA HA.

Speaking of coming back - Melanie and I are confirmed all day on Sept 16th (the Tuesday after the LV Meet up) if anyone is interested in perhaps joining us for a glorious day of tattooing.

Fuzzy pic of my finished tattoo
  You can reach the shop through www.livingdeadtattoo.com - Nickhole is booked up from about noon to 6pm with us but there are a number of other talented artists in the shop.  I wanted Nickhole because she used to do all the tattoos on my hairstylist Sam and has been featured in the show "Split Ends" on the Style Channel and her type of designs are exactly what I wanted for my Nightmare theme!

jerseygirl67 says:
That sounds like a great tat you have planned! can't wait to see that....will it be before the sep meetup?
Posted on: Jul 17, 2008