Surfing

Sydney Travel Blog

Bondi Beach

I had been looking forward to today for a long time. Being the beach child I am, I have always wanted to go surfing in Australia. Where else but the famous Bondi Beach was the most appropriate spot? Our instructors were the Bondi lifeguards. They split us up into groups and made us squeeze into wetsuits. (A feat in its own). They gave us a few quick lessons on the beach and then sent us out. I was with a group of boys. I have to say that I held my own. I was one of the first people that was able to stand up. It is a lot harder than it looks. The most tiring part is paddling back out after you ride in. Some of the boys in my group picked it up very quickly. Others never really got the hang of it. I just wish we had a little more time because right when I was feeling confident our time was up.

Our delegation at Bondi

We said good bye to “Big Wave Dave” and the other instructors and got back on the bus. Dion took us to a park overlooking Sydney and another park called Gap Bluffs. I got some great photos.

In the evening it was time for our homestay. One word… Thelma. Thank God Jill and I were together. Thelma is a very nice old lady. She is a widow that lives alone. Her house is very much an old lady house. She gave us tea every half hour and was very formal. Let’s just put it like this, I think I messed up what plate I was supposed to use for the bread. I struggled with meals because If you know me, you know that I am a very picky eater. Mom would be proud though, because I did try everything. Jill was talking like an idiot trying to put on a formal show for Thelma. She was saying things like, “oh yes, very much so”. I was having a hard time controlling my laughter. We both almost lost it when Thelma offered Jill some cream for her tea. She went to pour it and it was so thick that it wasn’t going anywhere. The worst part is that Jill actually got a spoon and scooped some into her tea. Nasty! I really spent the rest of the evening trying to avoid eye contact with Jill so I wouldn’t laugh. Then it was time for bed… For some reason Thelma turns the heater off at night. I could see my breath in my room. Jill and I slept with our hats, gloves, pants and sweatshirts on.

Bondi Beach
Jills backpack was a little heavy
Jill's backpack was a little heavy
Delegation Leaders