Pit Stop

Moreton Island Travel Blog

A wild dolphin

Today was another travel day. We left Coffs Harbor and drove north towards Morton Island. Halfway there we stopped at the Big Prawn. When we went to leave, the bus wouldn’t start. John, the bus driver, had to call a mechanic and we sat there for about two hours. We thought we were going to miss our ferry to Morton Island. We made it just in time but had to skip the light house we were going to stop at. The ferry to Morton Island was nice. It reminded me a lot of the high speed ferry to Block Island, RI. When we got close to the island we could see things moving around in the water. The closer we got we could start to see fins. Then we realized they were dolphins! When we got off the ferry we went straight into the water to feed them. At the time I assumed they were in an enclosure but come to find out they were wild dolphins that had been coming here for years. It was nearly dinner time when we arrived so we went quickly to our rooms to change. The island was beautiful. We stayed at the Tangalooma Wild Dolphin Resort. The place was perfect for the students. There was a lot for them to do with little supervision needed. After dinner they had karaoke at the restaurant. Adam, Jill and I sang Bon Jovi. The students sang a few songs as well. There was another delegation there whom our kids developed a bit of a rivalry with. The resort had an early curfew for the students so Jill, Verna and I were able to stay out and have a couple of drinks before bed.

The Big Prawn