Transitting Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City Travel Blog

DL (Delta) 49 - CVG-SLC, 757-200, Seat 36D.  Depart Cincinnati 1650, Arrive Salt Lake City 1828

DL (Delta) 1187 - SLC-FAI, 737-800, Seat 26A.  Depart Salt Lake City 2105, Arrive Fairbanks 2358

Flights were relatively uneventful on my journey to Fairbanks which is a very good thing in this day.  Everything was on time the whole way.  I must admit however that I lied in the previous post saying that I would be unaffected by the Alaskan volcano from earlier in the week.  At about an hour into the flight from Salt Lake City, I noticed that the plane began a fairly quick descent from a cruising altitude of around 36,000 feet.  Around 30,000 ft (we had one of those flight status monitors on the seat back screens) the pilot came on to announce that we were descending to 26,000 ft to pass underneath the ash plume from said volcano.  This was somewhere around the Washington/Oregon/Idaho border region.  With sunlight still shining on the northwest horizon, it was very easy to make out the plume as a large, reddish, dark cloud streaming above the plane as we flew at 26,000 ft.  After passing underneath the ash plume we ascended back to 36,000 ft for the remainder of the flight to Fairbanks.

Another interesting persepective from the window seat was watching it get dark then slowly start to lighten as we proceeded northward.  We didn't get true light upon arrival in Fairbanks shortly after midnight.  But it was easy enough to see outside without the assistance of other light sources.  I would not experience full darkness again until I returned home on the 28th of July.