AsiaChinaKunming

Life in China

Kunming Travel Blog

well,one of the two pics was taken at Rocco's. Rocco is an italian friend of mine from Naples. We arrived in Kunming in 1998. Then I took my way home and he decided to remain there. Now he has opened a restaurant in Wenlin jie, is married with a chinese woman, and has three marvellous kids. Weird enough, they look like italian boys but can't say a word in Italian and only speak Chinese or Kunming dialect to be honest as they are growing up there. Rocco's food is simply delicious and now, after so many years he is like an honourary ambassador of the italian expatriats community of Kunming. Like all the chinese cities, Kunming changed a lot recently. Unfortuantely, the local government did not pay attention to the old buildings maintenance.
That is not as simple in China if you consider that all ld traditional buildings were made of wood. Also, they could have been nice to see for tourists, but the local dwellers condition was not so good. And I know what I say for having lived there too. Besides, "modernism" is like a fever, but now something is going to change. Years ago, as soon as you started a conversation with a cab driver in any chinese city, he/she would have been proud to drive you into the modern buildings area, showing you the shopping center and the biggest department store as one of the wonders of the world, but now they start being much more aware of their past. So many chinese do not have an exact idea of the country I come from, but as soon as I say that I am from Italy they name the old Roman empire and say that both italy and china have a long history. No wonder they do so, if you consider that they had an empire from 221BC up to 1912, that it is like if the roman empire would have lasted for so long!
314 km (195 miles) traveled