The Siena dome

Siena Travel Blog

Siena is the capital of the Siena province. On our way to it we saw some beautiful landscapes and fields. Unfortunately we couldn't stop the bus to take some pictures...

Siena is a not so big city on top of a hill. The architecture here is breathtaking. The style feels quite authentic, and all houses are build in it. We visited the old court of justice and an old chapel, which walls covered us from the strong wind. The Siena square, la piazza del campo, is world-famous for its palio. Here the town is really divided in different contrada's that battle for the honour. Some families from different quarters never talk to each other, or so I am told...

We sit down here to enjoy the sun. Although there is a lot of wind, this place is lovely to watch people pass by. After the hasty day in Rome we could use a little relaxing for sure. In Siena, we take it really easy.

The most beautiful place here is the dome. I call it a 'Zebra Church' because it's walls are covered with black and white stripes from bottom to top. I had never seen anything like it.
The outside is nice, but the interior of the dome simply is beautiful. The floor is covered with extraordinary mosaics that tell medieval stories, the walls aren't too full with kitschy crab and the ceiling is truly wonderful. We took our time to view each corner of this dome twice before we left.

travelman727 says:
Thanks for the great review of Siena! Like you, I enjoyed my time there and in Tuscany :-D
Posted on: Jan 19, 2007
Siena Sights & Attractions review
The Piazza del Campo is one of the most beautiful squares of Europe. All main roads of Siena leave from here, so the square literally is the hart of t… read entire review
photo by: Pearl510