My short Derry / Londonderry trip

Derry Travel Blog

First of all, I'd like ot explain why I keep writing "Derry / Londondery". As You maybe know, Northern Ireland has been in conflict for many years. The general problem was whether Northern Ireland should belong to Republic of Ireland (idea supported by Catholics) or to United Kingdon (idea supported by Protestants). So... Protestants call it Londonderry and Catholics Derry.
So... taking the ocassion of my favourite airline Ryanair 2p flights I decided to go to Northern Ireland. The flight to Derry form Prestwick took about 25 minutes :) At the airport I was the only person checked by Police. Where are You going? What are You going to do? What do You do in Glasgow? Address? University? etc. Felt a bit like entering a war zone... Indeed Derry is not very popular travel destination. But I was positively surprised.
The city is quite small. There is city centre surrounded by city-walls. The main attraction are murals. There are few streets where You cans find most of them. They are maked on free city map from TI.
I stayed in Derry City Independent Hostel. Seriously, one of the best hostels I stayed in! Close to city centre, clean and very nice and helphul staff.
What else can I say... Just look at those pictures. (sorry my uni server refused adding here pictures.. I'll add them later)

Aditu says:
I loved Derry when I was there, the murals were fantastic, I loved the fact that you could tell what section of the city you were in by the flags flying and the colors painted on the street. I'd like to go back one day and do some more exploring, can't wait for the pics!
Posted on: Jul 22, 2008