Birthday in Arabia

Dubai Travel Blog

You would think that most people would want to go somewhere vibrant and crazy for their 21st but I ended up back in Dubai, just like the year before. It has become sort of a tradition for me to be in Dubai on my birthday. Each time I return it seems as if the city has been rebuilt and everything has changed but this time I wasn't impressed unfortunately. I think that it has grown so fast that there isn't a need for everything they are offering. When I was in the car from the airport to the ship terminal I had them drive me around for about an hour to see what was going on and I figured there weren't many lights in the towers because they weren't finished but they are just unoccupied . It led me to wonder if they will ever be occupied. Some of them soaring sixty or seventy stories high and not a soul around. The next day I drove out on to the almost complete Palm Jumeirah and the tropical oasis they advertise was more like a dust bowl flanked by endless beaches. The architecture is interesting but not my taste. I will be curious to see how it has changed when I return next month.