0186. Little Middle Altlas Town (Mor 035--new)

Afourer Travel Blog

I get up early Sunday morning--eager to explor Beni Mellal a bit more before it got too hot.  Then I find a "tobiss" (city bus) that was actually going to a neighboring town... These "tobisses" are thus the cheapest form of transportation in Morocco.

Afourir... seeing it nestled into the slopes of the majestic mountains, it’s love at first sight.  I get off the bus well before it arrives so that I can hike the remaining distance in the shade of the olive groves--and maybe take a video clip on the way.

Over to the side of the village a large pipe zigzagged its way down the mountain.  This pipe brings water for irrigation, water for Beni Mellal--and is used to generate electricity.  It's all a sharp contrast with the bleak landscape around, say, Ben Ahmed where people just have to hope it'll rain.

For some reason, Afourir is a "red" town... maybe these color codes aren't as regional as I'd thought.  It also has a distinctively Berber feel.  But the older fellow that prepared my eggs for breakfast was eager to chat--about a very popular topic here in Morocco... religion.

I wander up and down the steep streets and alleys of the town.   A road winding its way up the mountainside was clearly beckoning me to go explore deep into these mountains--as was a waiting "taxi kbir" heading that direction... But common sense overruled... I have a deadline for getting back to Casablanca... but I'll be back to this region I'm sure, to do some REAL mountain exploring.

Afourer