First Trip to Guatemala

Santiago Atitlan Travel Blog

My first trip to Central America! I am a member of a Sertoma group and our efforts are focused on the medical and educational needs in Latin America.  Some of the members of my group starting traveling to Santiago years ago and fell in love with the magnificance of Lake Atitlan.  I was very excited for my first trip.  Our plane landed in Guatemala City and a driver picked us up for the 3 hour drive thru the mountains to Santiago.  We stopped in Antigua for a few hours to roam around.  It is a gorgeous city and a must see if you travel to Guate.  We continued on to Santiago and arrived around 8pm.  We stay at Posada de Santiago and the owner was there to greet us and had dinner waiting.  I fell in love the instant we stepped inside.  The place is amazing! When I woke up in the morning to see the true beauty of the lake and the view of San Pedro volcanoe out of my front door, I knew I would be back.  Throughout the week I met many wonderful people and got to experience some of the other towns around the lake such as Panajachel, San Pedro and Santa Cruz.  We also spent some time volunteering for the building of a new Hospitalito Atitlan, which was destroyed in a mudslide in 2006.  It was a very emotional trip and I was already planning my return trip.  I went again in November of 2008, there was a little less work and lot more partying during that trip, but no less rewarding.  I am planning another tirp in March of 09!
Santiago Atitlan