weekend trip in Dublin

Dublin Travel Blog

Soili, a cousin of mine came to visit me to Dublin for a couple of days in late June. She chose a good time to come by, because apart from a few heavy showers the weather was kind to us: the sun shone brightly and there was a nice cooling breeze. Soili arrived to Dublin on Friday afternoon, when I was at work. I wanted to pick her up from the airport, but because I was too busy at work I couldn't do that and we agreed to meet up in the city centre later on. I could hardly concentrate on my tasks, because I hadn't seen her for months and I wanted to plan the weekend so that she would have a good time here.  There were so many places and events I wanted to took her to, but in order to do that I she would have needed more like weeks instead of days to see them, so I chose only a few places, such as the Kilmainham gaol, the Cow's lane (designer market) and the Hugh Lane art gallery.

Spire
On Friday evening I met Soili and my boyfriend, Lorenzo and we went to one of the pubs to eat and drink. We found quite a charming pub close off O'Connel street called the Mojo's where we had a good meal before heading back home.

The following morning we woke up late and spent most of our morning eating breakfast, planning what to do during the weekend and playing with the kittens. I wanted to take her to the George's street arcade to buy snacks, but because it was so late already and it was raining outside we decided to skip it and go to Kilmainham gaol.

Kilmainham gaol (Príosún Chill Mhaighneann) a prison which was built in 1796, when Ireland was in the midst of famine.

Grafton street
During the first years there was no segregation of prisoners there, so all female, male and child prisoners shared jail cells in which there was no heating or light. Many people still commited crimes on purpose, because during the famine the prison was the only place where they got food and shelter against the cold. So they had better chances of surviving inside than outside the prison. Kilmainham gaol had also an important role during the Easter Rising of 1916, the War of Independence and the Irish Civil War, because many of the leaders of the easter rising were imprisoned and executed there. The stories about the prison were really interesting and seeing the cells as well as hearing the stories about prisoners there made the tour fascinating.

After the tour we took a bus to the city centre and bought some lunch on our way to the Cow's lane desiger market.

It's a marketplace that sells among others fashion clothing, bags, belts and fine art. Some of the goods sold there are very expensive, but one can also find really nice stuff there for a cheap price. I bought myself a dress to wear on my birthday party the following week, hand made pesto and a second- hand book. After spending a couple of hours there we went to the George's street arcade to look around in the small clothing and souvenir shops. George street arcade is my favourite market place in Dublin, because it can indulge one's all senses - there are charming small clothing stores that sell handmade and second hand clothes as well as colourful Asian and Nepalese throws, food stores that sell Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food and spices. in addition to those there are also jewellery, souvernir, colletibles (old stamps, coins etc) second hand book and record stores and a fortune teller.

From the George street arcade we went for a coffee to the Bewley's cafe to the Grafton street. Bewley's has really tasty, although rather expensive flavoured coffees. It was a good way to relax for a while after walking for hours and to plan what to do in the evening. It started to rain again quite soon after we had finished our coffee so we went back home to eat and get ready to go to watch a movie called the happening in the movie theatre with Lorenzo. The movie was a bit of a disappointment, but the evening was very good nevertheless.

The following day it was raining again in the morning and we got totally wet on our way to the Hugh Lane gallery. Our timing was very good - I didn't care about the art so much, but there was a Sunday noon concert there that I went to listen to for an hour or so and Soili went to the art museum.

The rest of the day we spent shopping clothes and food for the evening without any rush anywhere. The last evening we spent at home eating, drinking and watching football on tv and supporting Spain in the game against Germany :)

Grafton street
directions to the temple bar :)
directions to the temple bar :)
a map of the temple bar
a map of the temple bar
my favourite restaurant in Dublin
my favourite restaurant in Dublin
art in OConnel street August 2006
art in O'Connel street August 2006
Dublin castle
Dublin castle
art works outside the Dublin castl…
art works outside the Dublin cast…
the Iveagh gardens