end of the line

Adelaide Travel Blog

I'm filing Indian-Pacific train as one of those things that are worth doing.  Once.

I can't really complain too much, but spending 2 nights in an airline-equivalent seat just made me remember all my luxurious sleeper cars I took in Eastern Europe.  I purchased the bottom tier service for this trip - and it was still more expensive than a flight from Perth to Adelaide.  And I booked on a student rate.  Had I upgraded to a mid-level sleeper... let alone the Gold service... the price would have been just ridiculous.  But the sights of the desert combined with the discussions on the train made it worthwhile.  Once.

Adelaide itself is pretty cool.  It was described to me as a smaller, "better" Melbourne - somewhat artsy & modern.  I might agree.  It's not too big - but it does have a fashionable shopping strip, a small Chinatown, museums, parks, etc.  Its a short tram ride to the beach.  All-in-all I'd say its got quite a bit to offer.

However after taking my timing on the West Coast - I'm now in a bit of a sprint to the finish.  I'm only staying one night here, then I depart East.

Adelaide