the beach

Phuket Travel Blog

My flight from Bangkok to Phuket was a bit interesting.  While we were in the air, there was a court ruling regarding the embattled Prime Minister.  The Phuket airport had been shut down last week due to protesters & I thought if the ruling favored the PM, there may be more delays/etc.  So when we circled our airport (ala Die Hard) for 40 minutes, I was sure we'd have to redirect.  But eventually our plane touched down - with no explanation ever given.  So who knows?

It's the rainy season here, so its quite wet.  But for a few hours each day the sun peeks out... and apparently the intensity associated with the 8th parallel is enough to cook my skin... even in brief encounters at the beach.  Haha.  Oh well.  I've got a nice room in a hotel a little ways off the Karon Beach - which both gives me a reason to walk & allows me to get away from the bulk of tourist stuff.  I usually eat with the locals (between $1-3) and have been to an incredible market where the Thai go to buy some crazy stuff.  I've had some skewered whole squid, roasted/fried insects, etc.  And it was all very good!  Today hasn't been nearly as rainy, so I'm running around the area on a rented scooter.

There was/is plenty more to see in Thailand - but I leave tomorrow.  Such is life.

photo by: Aclay01