Bucharest Travel Blog

I've spent the past couple of days in the capital city of Bucharest.  Took a tour of the People's House of Parlament - which is the 2nd largest civil building in the world & #1 most expensive.  Got to meet & talk to several (at times random) locals.  All great experiences, but the best part has been reuniting with the kids at the inner city orphanage, Pinocchios.  A group of us from Texas A&M visited there in 2006.

I remembered quite a few of the children & to my surprise, they remembered many of us - by name.  I was impressed because its been 2 years & I know other groups from the US have been through... so I had imagined it would have been easy for their young minds to blur the history.  I won't lie, it was probably the highlight of my trip, the first time I saw the "little" girl that was my favorite back then.  Granted she is 2 years older, taller, shorter hair, etc... and the added age has reduced her unabashed affection - but her smile is still the same & it just melts my heart to see it.

Unlike 2006, I am the only American visiting the orphanage - so I have the sole attention of many kids.  I try my best to make the rounds - but it is difficult for me.  My personality is to focus on a few and give unique attention - however that isn't easy given the situation.  However I've had a blast playing board games, going to the park & playing sports, etc.  I also think they enjoy practicing their (limited) English on me.  Some of the older kids have excellent English - but most only know a handful of phrases... but then again, I only know a handful of Romanian phrases - so that puts me about equal to the 10 yr olds.

Also of note - its terribly hot here.  Upper-90's every day.  Its brutal, especially coming from London... which was stereotypically cold, damp & dreary.
photo by: tm16dana