Holy Land

Jerusalem Travel Blog

I love Jerusalem.

That about sums it up.  I hate to use superlatives - especially while being in the moment & without time for context - but I dare say the old city here is my favorite location I have ever visted.  All time.  The history, culture & diversity are simply unmatched in my opinion.

Inside the city walls are 4 quarters:  Jewish, Christian, Moslem & Armenian.  Each one with its own religious sites, narrow streets, venders, restaurants, etc.  I could (and have) spend hours in each.  Outside the walls are gardens & parks and at the various gates along the wall are scores of markets selling all manner of fresh bread, produce, meats, etc.

My hostel is located directly opposite the Damascus gate & it is a beehive of activity.  I just love being able to step outside & buy fresh, cheap food.  This is also the Islamic period of Ramadan - and when the sun sets, the area of my gate just bursts into one gigantic festival.  It's just a very cool place to be.

There is just too much to say in one post.  So more impressions will have to come later...

photo by: daynnightraveller