Dracula country

Sighisoara Travel Blog

We hit the road, traveling the Transylvanian countryside by car... which, btw, is amazing.  Exceptionally green, rolling hills, dotted with historic houses, located in front of towering mountains.  Just driving the sinuous roads between cities is a treat.  Sighisoara boasts an old midevil town with a perimeter defense wall.  It was Vlad's actual place of residence & thus had all the Dracula tourist stuff.  I wandered into some private property (by accident) and ran into the owner.  After getting questioned about my "function" there, he put me to work helping him move lawn equipment for his impending wife's birthday party.  He turned out to be a very nice German, and showed me around his amazing yard - which had to have cost a mint, as it was near the highest point of the city & had exclusive views to certain areas.  When he discovered I was intending to head to New Zealand, he gave me his son's contact info - who just so happens to live in Aukland & offers out his spare room to traveling friends of the family.

I love the way the Universe works.

Our "hotel" for the evening was a 400 year old house with the historical landmark status to prove it.  It was a private residence along the edge of the old city.  The spare rooms were rented out by the home owners & all things considered I thought it was a cool place to stay.
photo by: RJ82