Korat, Thailand

Korat Travel Blog

Royal pond scum

I was in Korat for 3 weeks. I liked being able to experience Thai culture without the touristy pressures of Bangkok and other places. Things are cheaper in Korat, which for me meant trying a lot of new food. I tried a lot of different foods including some great fruit. I liked exploring the night bazaar; lots of new food including bugs. I recommend staying near the downtown area. The only problem is that there aren't too many good hotels downtown. I stayed that the Sima Thani Hotel for 3 nights (1100 baht/night). It was ok, but far from downtown. I moved to the Rachaphruk Grand Hotel (1000 baht/night), which is closer to downtown. There are a lot of internet cafes in the city and around the hotel. There are also tons of stray dogs. I liked walking to the market toward downtown and exploring the many temples. There are 3 castles ruins outside the city and I highly recommend seeing them. However, I forget their names. Thai words are hard for me to remember. :) I don't know where "the land of smiles" catch phrase came from. People didn't smile more than most other people, nor where they any nicer. I found an English speaking dentist in "the Mall" for some affordable dental work. Most people do not speak English. I would recommend using a taxi if you can find one. There aren't many in Korat. The tuk-tuks are more expensive and dangerous. I have never encountered so much pollution on the roads in my life. I felt totally safe in Korat and Thailand overall.

pray for me Argentina