Dancing the night away

Compostela Travel Blog

Exhausted from work and stressful daily routine, I welcomed an invitation to visit a beach resort in Compostela with a sigh of relief and feelings of excitement thinking that at last I’d break away from the toxic city life.

Covered with tall palms, coconuts, big balete trees and other tropical greens, Stakili Estaca Beach Garden Resort was not what I’ve expected it to be, but it showed so much potential. The beach as I was told was actually been in business for quite sometime already since it started in around the 70s.

Operated by Menca Development Corporation also behind the paradise islet of Nalusuan in the municipality of Cordova, Stakili is definitely one of the distinct destinations in the North of Cebu.

But Stakili’s concept is different from Nalusuan as the former is known to be the events and entertainment capital of the North being a venue for fun and excitement for friends and family whereas the latter is apt for serene pleasure.

The trip to Compostela was not at all that far, but the places we’ve passed along were entirely foreign to my sight, so I treasured the experience like a child being brought to a carnival except that the jeepney was jammed and it was hard to breathe not to mention the traffic which spoiled my mood.

But upon our arrival on the resort, my foul mood abated as I’ve heard the refreshing sound of sea waves from nearby and the scent of vegetation plus the comforting refuge provided by coconut trees surrounding the resort was unwinding. Set on a beach line that stretches up to 1.2 kilometers, the beach resort was actually a huge property that measures 4 hectares. Separated in two portions, the resorts’ one side were the hotel rooms and the other was the beach area with an amply wide space for a stage and dance area convertible to a volleyball field that during our arrival was already bursting with rhythmic music and blinding disco lights.

Our room was not relatively new and grand but tidy and comfortable. It has its own bathroom with shower and a cable TV set, which is just what we need to get by.

Stakili has around 40 rooms of varying sizes and features giving guests the comfort of home. Presidential suite has a king-sized bed and a dining area, bar & kitchenette. Whereas, an executive suite has two adjoining air-conditioned suites with living room and a king-sized matrimonial bed, a mini-bar, private toilet and bath, safe box, shower with bathtub, telephone, voicemail system, coffee or tea maker, daily newspaper, hair dryer, ironing board non-smoking rooms, TV with cable system and radio and there is also Internet connectivity in the room.

For those who wish to save, the resort also offers rooms at lower rates like their deluxe rooms with twin-sized or matrimonial bed and serves free Continental breakfast for two. They also have standard rooms equipped with a twin bed and a complimentary coffee or tea. They also have economy rooms with single bed.

After we deposited our stuff, the hungry being inside me immediately craved for food.  And so that night, we had one of the most unique dishes for dinner compliments from the resort staff of course. The resort’s chef called the odd-looking but interesting dish “Chicken Bakekang” due to its black color which they told me was taken from squid’s juice. With its unique presentation, I was baffled to find out that the odd dish actually tasted good and it has a distinct flavor that I liked since the squid juice blended so well with the chicken. After we got fed, I and my companions decided to explore the whole place with so much gusto and excitement.

Stakili Estaca Beach Garden Resort has amenities like a swimming pool enjoyed by family and friends. That night, we saw a couple and their friends enjoying the night on the resort’s pool while I just stared there wishing I brought my swimwear so I could have dipped for a while. On the beachfront, it was surprising to see that the place was packed and since videoke machines were posted on every corner; the place was so alive with music and sounds that I know guests would never get bored.

The resort also comes equipped with function rooms for gatherings and other facilities for fun and frolicking under the sun like barbeque grills, a swimming pool with slide, a jacuzzi, kiddie pool, billiard hall, board games, volleyball, badminton, mahjong, and chess among others. The resort also provides transfers like motorboats and vans.

As the music on the stage amplified louder and louder, resort guests gathered around the stage while a live show band performer sung latest dance hits. Since the beat was inviting, we were not able to resist dancing our inhibitions away. Even profusely sweating, we grooved and grinded our booties like crazy unmindful of strangers around us. And on that particular moment, I knew we’ve truly enjoyed the night and proved that Stakili indeed is the capital for entertainment in the North side of the province.

Consumed with need for sleep, we decided retire to our rooms but sated with the thought that even for just a short while we experienced the entertainment that Stakili has to offer. And after that overnight experience, I agreed that Stakili is one place where you can mix business and pleasure, whether you’re up for fun in the sun or you’re planning a corporate affair or just there to simply relax and unwind just like what I did.

cax says:
Sounds like you've had a great time. I hope you'll add more pictures... :)
Posted on: Jul 08, 2008