Visiting the Big Apple New York City- 2003

New York Travel Blog

Empire State Building
The visit to NYC was to see a concert, an Ari Hest concert. It was my friend's idea to travel to NYC to see the concert. She is always keen on travel and she recruited another friends of hers from Michigan to join the trip. I traveled alone to NYC to meet up with them and to stay at the hostel w/ them. We were all broke at that time and staying a few nights in a hostel called the Chelsea Star Hotel in the very loud Chelsea district in NYC- seems to be the only option. I have always wanted to see what the big fuss was about in regards to how great NYC was.

Off I go to the LAX to catch my flight. 5-6 hours later into the flight outside the plane windows is NYC. It's lights and buildings were basically the same as LA's the only difference is NY is smaller in size and didn't have that many super large freeways.
MTV studios
I arrived at the La Guardia Airport in NY and had to call for a cab to take me to the hostel in Chelsea. Of course the fee of a taxi was outrageous but it wasn't safe for me to ride the subway alone in NYC. When I got to the hostel I vaguely remember my taxi cab driver telling me to be careful of this area. Yes I can tell- I thought. The hostel was located in the lousy and ghetto area but I know I get what I pay for.

I called up my friend and they came down to meet me. It had been a long time since I saw my friend who used to live in San Diego for a couple of years. She now moved to NYC. My friend took me up to the room and they had to change into a larger room because I was going to stay w/ them for 2 nights. The hostel was about 3-4 levels, each room was themed, and one bathroom in each floor.
the streets of NYC
Obviously everyone had to share bathrooms. I wouldn't say this is my ideal place to stay now that I look back into it but at that time being a broke college student it was the only way to go when it comes to traveling. Every second of the second there is noise outside the streets of our hotel. whether it is cops sirens, weird people screaming, whatever it was it went on 24/7 without a break. Hence, I could not get a good nights sleep.

We went sightseeing and headed straight to Times Square area. Loud, fast paced, noisy is what I describe NYC. The day was quite cloudy but I managed to get some photos. We've pretty much saw the major points of Times Square. Then we met up with a friends friend who lives in NYC. He toured us to a place called Greenwich Village.
Times Square
Place of live music, quaint streets, funky and people with character. I remember seeing lots of tattoos parlors. Of course transportation in NYC means only subways or buses so we took the subways to go from point A to point B. Our lunch and dinner were super simple and super inexpensive yet again considering our empty wallets.

We did see the hit broadway show "RENT" which I completely fell in love with. I bought a RENT pin. This was my first broadway musical and it opened my eyes to going more broadway shows as the years passed. That's what I love about traveling and experiencing new things. You try it, you sometimes like it or hate it, either way you tried and it may or may not open your eyes to something brand new. Like I always say traveling with an open eye is the key despite not all your travels will be pleasant, it is still an experience.

The following night it was concert day to see Ari Hest live. i've seen Ari once in LA at the Knitting Factory. The venue we went to was called I believe it is The Living Room. I don't exactly remember. Anyways the show was good, small crowd, 40 minutes show as usual. After the show we left after and didn't go bar hopping since at that time I wasn't 21 yet. We headed back to the subway and back to the hostel to call it a night.

Morning after it was my day to leave back to LA and it was the day for them to drive back to Michigan.

My thoughts on NYC? Loud, loud, loud. Too fast. Too crazy. It is not my kind of town and it wouldn't bug me if I never go there again. I don't quite see how NYC in so many eyes be so fabulous. I'm not saying that I really hate NYC, but I am only saying it's not my kind of town. Sometimes as we find that we may not like the places we visit.