Chicago: Labour Day weekend 2007

Chicago Travel Blog

Let's look and see where I want to go
what a great way to spend the 3 day holiday weekend by traveling! i went traveling solo to meet up w/ my sister who was stationed to work in Illinois for a couple of months.

Early morning I got up and was i was dropped off by my brother at the los angeles union station in downtown to take the airport shuttle called Flyaway for about $2 one-way. Waiting for about 10 minutes w/ my hot pink luggage comes the shuttle. Aboard the air conditioned Flyaway airport shuttle the driver drove me and 5 other strangers to the airport. Upon arrival to the LAX i checked in and was told to check in my luggage due to new laws about carrying only 3 oz. bottles, which at that time i wasn't aware of. A nice man escorted me to check in my luggage, perhaps he thought i was only 16 years old and felt sorry i was traveling alone.
Lake Michigan
nope not the case, but it was nice to be escorted. i felt like a queen. back in line to check in i had to wait about an hour before getting on the plane. there i met a nice middle-aged woman named Tina who became my traveling companion while flying to and back to LA. i made a new friend who i am actually still in touch with by email. apparently she lives only about 10 miles away from me. I'm never afraid of traveling solo because I get to meet people this way. My family and friends think otherwise.

Our plane arrived. 4-5 hours into the flight we arrived in CHICAGO, ILLINOIS airport. beautiful. from the plane we could see Lake Michigan and the air quality while landing was much more clean than LA, of course.
Sailboats
I have read how green the city have become so i was looking forward in seeing it. My travel companion and i said our byes till we meet again to fly back home to LA. I called my sister who was waiting for me somewhere inside the Chicago airport. I found her and off we go to check into our hotel located about 15 miles away from downtown chicago, in the suburbs. We stayed in I believe the Westine? I can't remember as it has been almost a year ago but we used our reward points to redeem this hotel. The area was quiet and on that same weekend we were there there was a Muslim convention of sorts in the convention center.

We got dinner around the area and rest in our hotel for the 1st night. In the daytime the next day we began sightseeing. Pulled out our trusty maps and decided on where we wanted to go.
trees along the walk way in Chicago
We went to see Grant Park, downtown, go to the shores of Lake Michigan, see different buildings, and drive around the area. The city is very clean where recycling is an everyday thing, it was present especially by the park in Lake Michigan. Even downtown itself was clean where the streets were pretty much trashless. Outside of the busy part was of course where it wasn't so clean but it did have it's chi-town charm. We walked passed the theatre where The Color Purple was being performed. While walking around town i was wondering where Oprah Winfrey was.

All in all Chi-town was a clean city and the best time to go is in the Summer when the sun is bright and the tempertatures are as low as the 70's-80's and the humidity wasn't too bad as well. Sticky yes but not as sticky when I was in Hawai'i.

I definitely recommend getting a credit card that has points for hotels and flights- as this is the most inexpensive way to travel.

Lets look and see where I want to…
Let's look and see where I want t…
eco inspired globes