A relaxing day in San Diego

San Diego Travel Blog

performance hall
My 4th of July weekend trip was planned on Saturday but was postponed to Sunday instead. My sister was not able to make the trip w/ me so I rounded my friend and her sister to go. One last day of the holiday weekend- what better way to spend it then at my favorite so. cal city San Diego. I go to San Diego at least twice a year.

8am in the morning of July 6th- text message from Karina asking if we were going. Yes we are. While waiting for the sisters to arrive at my home I was watching the pre-games of the Olympics Gymnastics. 9:30 rolled around and off we go in my seaside pearl Toyota Prius hybrid vehicle. I still love my car.

We made a view point stop at one of the rest areas along the 5 freeway to see the view of the ocean. The grey clouds perched over the oceans magnificent color.
me taking a picture of my friend while my friend taking a picture of the pond
The sea gulls were flying above our heads and one pooped missing us by a few feet. The kids were feeding an apple to the chipmunks. It's tiny nose and tiny feet, standing up in posture, and its eye stared straight ahead to Karina's sneakers and it sniffed her shoes checking to see if it was an edible object. We continued our drive.

Almost 2 hours later we arrived in downtown. Our first official stop was Balboa Park to visit a couple of museums and botanical gardens. The sisters haven't been to Balboa Park and I didn't mind seeing it again. The beautiful flowers in the gardens were vivid in color, you can smell the herbs while walking pass them, you can feel the soft breeze on your face while breathing in the air and the aroma of the garden. We've also visited the Photographic Museum whose works of FLESH: Portraits by Gary Schneider and Humanitas: Images of India by Fredric Roberts are the current exhibitions in the museum.
poi
Gary Scheider's work boogled me.

We attended Spreckles Organ Concert while at the park. Organ music played about a 40 minute show. Sounds of organ music reminded me of church or oddly Disney films. After the organ set I was again reminded of how much i want to someday perform a song of some kind in front of an audience like an open mic. Maybe. Possibly. Never hurts to dream a little. Then we stopped to visit the United Nations International Cottages. My favorite to see because I'm very keen on cultures and anything international. The first flag who caught my attention was the Norweigan flag. Strangely i'm drawn to Scandavian countries. I've never been, I don't have friends from there, yet I'm drawn to it. Must've been the photographs I see on the internet. We stopped by all of the cottages. Karina and her sister got their names written in Chinese at the China cottage.
I'm not sure if it is correct, my chinese writting is foggy but I did however wrote my name in Chinese in their guestlist book. *dejavu* have i had this experience before? We spent more time at the International Cottages then we did in the Museums. While walking by each cottage all were cooking up traditional dishes. *sniffs* The smell of ethnic food is wonderful. I may not have the opportunity to travel so often yet but this was a tease of the real international travel.

We then drove to the Port of San Diego to dine. We dined at Anthony's which is right off the port where all the navy ships and fishing boats were. I ordered a salmon fillet w/ a side of baked potato and cole slaw. No cocktail for me since I was the designated driver. Karina ordered the scallops, shrimps w/ a side of baked potato and cole slaw and Aida ordered the seabass fillet with a side of rice and cole slaw.
The food was quite delicious until an hour later while driving back towards Los Angeles my stomache started to hurt. I ate bad fish? perhaps. I had to make a pit stop in Irvine to find a restroom. ouch.

This concludes our one day trip to SD and concludes my first travel blog. Even till today my stomach still feels strange and I had to call in sick from work.

performance hall
me taking a picture of my friend w…
me taking a picture of my friend …
the fountain