Starting point - Koblenz

koblenz Travel Blog

Wilhelm I

We all met behind the Sofitel in Eindhoven around 7:15 AM in order to get an early start to Koblenz.  Early morning, so had to call it early on Friday night.  Was supposed to pick up my friends Ryan and Melissa but they had to back out at the last minute due to injury (sometimes drinking and biking do not mix!)

We got started and quickly realized that yup, today IS the first day of the Dutch holidays.  Caravan city!  It's hard to believe we made it anywhere there were so many caravans on the road.  And living up to stereotype, most of these drivers do not care who else is on the road with them...when they want to go into the left lane, they just pull on over...I don't think they even check the mirrors for a second!

We made it down to Koblenz and parked close to where the boat would let us out that evening and where we'd be eating dinner then made the short (SHORT?!?!?) walk to the central station.  Well, we didn't make the desired 10:55 train, but the delay was minimal and we caught the 11:10 train to Rüdesheim am Rhein.  The extra 15 minutes gave us enough time to buy some necessary provisions for the hour train ride...beer, and beer!

Fountain - History of Koblenz