Staff dinner

Hong Kong Travel Blog

After several days in Hong Kong, I was feeling like I could have been anywhere. When you take the subway under the Harbour, you only know that you're crossing onto Hong Kong Island because it takes a long time between stops. I had scouted out all kinds of offices in Central, and one of the amazing things about the city is that there is so much going on at eye level, you can nearly forget that you are walking among skyscrapers.

Before the arrival of our students/customers, we decided to have a real outing in the city. We got all dolled up and met our hired "limousine service", to discover it was a minivan. A nice one though, with automatic doors. Supposedly limousines do exist here, although it's a good thing I wasn't expecting any, because I have yet to see one. We started off our evening in Mong Kok, at the Temple Street Night Market. It's got everything person could want, from cheap clothing to purses for blocks on end. It started to spontaneously pour, and we found Hong Kong's greatest accessory: the condom umbrella. When open, it looks like a normal long-handled umbrella, with a plastic dome on top. When closed, the dome expands out to cover the umbrella, keeping it from leaking. Although I highly recommend the umbrellas from the market, I wouldn't go when it is raining. The tin roofs all drip into the walkway, so that you end up far wetter than if you had just stood in the street. Still, it was great to peruse fans, silk dresses, Lost in HK t-shirts and jewelry for a bit.

Following the market, the rain tapered off and we went to the Symphony of Lights show at Tsim Sha Tsui. The view over Victoria Harbour of the Central District in all its fluorescent glory was impressive enough. The music and lasers add to the spectacle, which happens about every other night. The skyline was really breathtaking, especially after walking around Central during the days before.

We ended the evening in style at the Peninsula Hotel. According to our "local" Jackson, it's the best hotel in the world, although others would certainly agree it's up there. And Felix was one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at, so I wouldn't argue. A lychee cocktail in me, I decided to try foie gras and was glad I did, even if I felt a tinge of guilt at my less-than-PC dinner choice. It was so worth it to feel like royalty overlooking all of Hong Kong, and I recommend the bar to any traveller in search of a fabulous view. Don't miss the bathroom!