Heritage Museum

Hong Kong Travel Blog

So, I ventured into the New Territories for the first time on Wednesday to check out the Heritage Museum. Frommer's says it is located halfway between Sha Tin and Che Kung Temple MTR stations, so I went to Sha Tin because it is on the train line and easier to get to. There were no signs at all for the museum and it is not even on the map in the station, so I walked around a lot. Finally, I decided to check out Snoopy's World, a playground for kids, because my Dad collected all things Peanuts. This turned out to be a good move, because from Snoopy's World I found the Sha Tin park, which was worth walking through. It had lots of decorations for the Olympics, since the Equestrian events will take place in this small town. The park also had a waterfall and some nice gardens. At the end of the park, across the street, I finally found the museum!
I started on the first floor with the exhibit on Cantonese opera. This was a bit similar to the one at the History Museum, but I still enjoyed it because there were interactive tvs that explained the symbolic acts they do before the opera. I also got more out of it since I went to the Peking Opera recently. The next exhibit on the New Territories history was also similar to the History museum, but I liked the parts about the fishing history of the area. They also show how much Sha Tin has grown in the last century and even 30 years, which is hard to believe.
The exhibitions right now are an artist famous for nature drawings and cartoons. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between his work and some of the drawings I see in the markets. Also, they have an exhibition on Chinese jewelry, which was really cool. They had beautiful jade pieces and abstract art from all of the major designers in Hong Kong. I wanted those necklaces! This was probably my favorite part of the whole museum, and it was really different from anything I have seen before. The museum also had some art upstairs with ceramics and some Tibetan tapestries. Basically, it is like a natural history, history, heritage and art museum all rolled into one.