Free museum day

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Wednesday is like a holiday for travelers in Hong Kong, free museum day. Granted, the museums are inexpensive anyways, usually about $HK10, but free is still free. The money you may save by visiting on free day could buy a dress in the marketplace or all kinds of yummy fruit, so of course I feel compelled to go to the museums on Wednesday and think of all the money I'm saving.

The most prominent museum is the Space Museum, with the distinctive white Omnimax theater dome sitting on the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront. It was interesting enough to walk around, but many of the exhibits were broken so I would only recommend it on, well, another Wednesday. There were some neat simulating activities, but the lines were long and I feel a bit guilty standing in a line filled with 8-year-olds impatiently waiting their turn behind me, so I was quickly ready to move on to the Art Museum. I liked the contemporary art exhibition best, with its video of shoes in the city and a Morse code-SMS piece that was interactive. The other floors of ceramics, jade and gold were beautiful, but a short glance was enough for me. Unfortunately, the top floor of fine arts was closed for renovation, which was disappointing because this is my favorite part of most other art museums. So, I will probably go back. Another Wednesday...