Touring the Grand Canyon South Rim with my sister and her family from London.

Grand Canyon National Park Travel Blog

We had talked for months about Christmas plans but never could reach an agreement. I had desperately wanted to leave Arizona for a little while and she wanted to take the children somewhere outside of the UK for Christmas. I decided it would be better to invite them over as our winter in Arizona was not as harsh as the one in London. I offered to buy the tickets for the children if she would cover the airfare for herself and her husband Tom. Everything worked like clockwork until she called me one evening very distraught about the trip, Tom had decided against joining us for Christmas: the big and the small of their conflict I did not care to know but I called Tom anyways and managed to talk him into coming.

I had to make arrangements to pick him up on Christmas day exactly as it turned out British Airways had no seats available on the flight on which the rest of his family would be travelling.

All in all, they all arrived in the US and to Sonoita in one piece. My sister like I, had long desired to see the Grand Canyon, so we planned a one night trip to the Grand Canyon for after Christmas. It was a cold Christmas even for Sonoita, funny we had not had a snowy Christmas in years, I guess they brought the winter/snow with them from London.

The drive from Sonoita to Flagstaff was uneventful. We arrived late evening at the Canyon, checked in to our hotel and planned to tour in the morning. At a little over 7000 feet, Flagstaff had snow and so did the Grand Canyon: In fact it snowed on the same day we arrived at the south rim.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Grand Canyon National Park