The Sonoran Desert Museum

Sonora Desert Travel Blog

The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is a world-renowned zoo, botanical garden, and natural history museum all put together in one location. I had only been in the United States about 48 hours when my ex husband suggested we go on a tour of the desert museum. With little knowledge, we set off on a two-hour drive from Sonoita to the Sonora desert. Along the way, I could not help noticing the breath-taking scenery as we drove through the huge saguaro spotted desert descending from above 3000 ft to a low 1000 ft. But five years ago, I do not seem to remember having as much fun as I did today, either because I was still jet luggage from a 36 hour travel from Africa, or because I did not have my camera to capture the moments.

My friend Mike also a TB (grant1917), decided to come down to Tucson to visit for the weekend, an avid traveler himself he had a camera and his enthusiasm to being along when I suggested the desert museum.

Mike is one of the snow birds from Canada who travel south during the winter months in search of warmer weather. He drives a huge motor home with him making him not only mobile, but conveniently comfortable when he trails the highways of America. We set off a little after 1:00 p.m. heading west on Speedway blvd towards the interstate 10. Along the way are stopping spots that allow one to take photographs of the scenery as they descend or ascend. Clearly marked signs indicate hiking trails, camping sites and biking trails.

After spending considerable time at the international wildlife museum, we did not have enough time to tour the museum as much as we would have liked to. Hopefully when Mike returns to Tucson, we can complete the tour . . .

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Sonora Desert