Celebrating St. Patrick's Day on a boat

Wickenburg Travel Blog

Just relaxing

I do have an impulsive behavior when it comes to travel. I will spontaneously go to a place if I have the right company and mood. One such time was St. Patrick's Day 2006 when my charming boyfriend Guy, invited my best friend Agnes and I to his boat on Lake pleasant in Wickenburg. Getting to Lake Pleasant is easy: from Wickenburg, take route 60 (East Wickenburg Way, which turns into Grand Avenue south to route 74. Turn left (the only way you can go) to head eastbound. Drive for about 20 miles through some of the most beautiful and barely touched Sonoran Desert landscape around. (Enjoy it while it lasts; developers will be turning it into housing development and strip malls as soon as they can).

Sharing in the "luck of the Irish" with non-Irish people around, imagine that! The pints, Margaritas, beers, vodka to mention but a few made for such a merry St. Patrick's celebration on the boat last year. Besides us, Guy, had Bob & Linda who both own a boat at Lake pleasant that they live on during the summer months. The rest of the people on the boat we found there, honestly I don't remember any of the other girls on the boat with us. We just had them join us for a cruise and dancing later that night, the spirit of fun was amazing.

The cruise was Bob's idea: being the Italian that he is, and retired at that Bob and his wife Linda life such a relaxed and carefree life. With no children to worry about, they spend their time traveling and having fun at the Lake during the summer months. When I first met Linda, it was evident that she was a fun loving woman. Her smile is as welcoming as the warmth of a mother's embrace. It was about three in the afternoon when we left the docks for the West Side of the lake where most boats anchors for fun. Onboard Linda had all her goodies since it is their moving home. She loves margaritas and so she had her own margarita mixer.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

photo by: hannajax