Back to Tombstone with my sister's family

Tombstone Travel Blog

. . . And so the saying goes "Town Too Tough To Die". Where I come from the history of tombstone would be considered a taboo and therefore never spoken of again. The belief that the spirits of the dead should be left to lay peacefully is upheld strongly. But this is another day, another time, another place and it is selling like hot cakes. My sister had long since heard of Tombstone, she like I was a student of History and in African schools we do not learn of the history of Africa: we learn the history of other countries before we learn our own history. Smile!

That being said, I invited my sister and her family who at the time were living in London for Christmas (2006). I was thrilled when she agreed to bring the family: but she also wanted to go to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, and Tombstone as well as visit our aunt in Atlanta, Georgia, phew.

Nonetheless, they arrived on British airways as planned and we made merry over the festive season of Christmas. It was COLD in Sonoita (seriously, I’m not saying this because I’m always cold, it was literally ten degrees). In fact it snowed during this Christmas season after almost 10 years of not snowing. I guess they brought the snow with them from across the pacific huh?

Long story short, we planned the trips based on my schedule at work, prioritizing the Grand Canyon as most important then Vegas. But we never got to go to Las Vegas; we substituted Las Vegas for Atlanta and Tombstone. And so was this third time around to the town too tough to die. I call it the town of tombs.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

photo by: kchrist454