Arriving in Laos via Thailand

Laos Travel Blog

The North of Laos has some really breathtaking mountainous scenery with small minorities’ villages and that’s where I planned to visit during this trip. As for Luang Prabang, it’s a nice laid back place to relax and it boasts of one of the nicest waterfall seen in Asia. Food wise its not a famous place to eat, but people can easily survive.

This is the rough itinerary for my Loas visit.

Bangkok - Udon Thani - Nong Khai - Vientaine - Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientaine - Nong Khai - Udon Thani - Bangkok.

After arriving in Bangkok and getting my 14 days visa on arrival I immediately proceeded to the Soi Suan Plu road to the Immigration office to get a Re-entry Permit to Thailand. It seems that since I already took the Visa-on-Arrival it will be used up once I cross in Laos and then will again have to apply for another VOA when entering into Thailand. I decided better to have a re-entry permit in advance and avoid the hassles later at the Udon Thani immigration. Particularly with an Indian passport, the immigration guys sometimes behave quite erratic and sometimes funny.

It took close to 2 hours to get the re-entry permit and then proceeded to the Hualampong train station to check for the night train to Udon Thani. Luckily there were seats available in the air-con sleeper on the night train (I think paid around 800 baht), booked the tickets and relaxed a bit after running around the whole day making sure all the arrangements are in place. It was evening and suddenly everyone in the train station stood up in attention and there was some announcements on the speakers after which everyone started singing the National Anthem and praises for the King.

The train departed on time and we made ourselves comfortable on the train berths. The space was just enough to get some sleep but the air-con was really on full blast.