Getting high (up)....

Fenouillet Travel Blog

After a day of resting in the sun, and adjusting to the laid back lifestyle, I decided that it was time I set out to explore the area.  Over the next couple of days I went on beautifull walks down gorges, strolls to reservoirs, cherry picking excursions selecting sweet wild cherries from trees over hanging mountain footpaths and meanders through fields of poppies, long grass and wildflowers.

Today I decided to conquer the châteaux in the village.   I set off gingerly middle of the afternoon to avoid the mid day heat.  I wandered through the labyrinth of streets in the little village and scambled over the rocks on the mountain to the châteaux it self.  The view from the village does not do it any justice, it must have been a fairly impressive structure in its day, and I try to imagine what it would have been like.   There is an outer wall and inner wall with shear cliffs on 2 sides, giving good protection from intruders.  From the highest point of the ruin it gives 360˚ views of the area.   The châteaux seems to have been build around the mountain itself, with strangely shaped rooms as a result.   Now the ruined walls are scattered with wild flowers and I see 2 deer clambering over the ruins, foraging.  After admiring the ruined châteaux, I scrabble back down the mountain and head for the fort.  The walk to the fort is some what easier despite it being on an outcrop.  There is not much left of the fort, there is a high wall surrounding 3 sides of it, with a large whole in it, half way up.  I can see that this leads to ledge, so I jump up the rocks and onto the ledge.  I sat here for some time gazing over the valley, surveying the area as someone would have done many, many years ago.   The evening drawing closer and engulfing the landscape in a pink glow.

photo by: Pickleson