Aja aja in Cebu! Be happy,irregardless.

Cebu City Travel Blog

Be happy, irregardless,as suggested by the organizer and agreed upon by the lucky eight attendees, will be Cebu TB's motto, as we promised to promote travbuddyhood not only to TB members but to non-members as well. To affirm the motto, everybody says, "Aja! Aja!" (Go! Go! in Korean)

Eight is my lucky number on TB. My first official TB meet-up event in Manila composed of eight(including myself) TBs and again, my first meet-up in Cebu on July 5, was also composed of eight lovely people. The meet-up place was at CASA VERDE, where we had dinner enjoying Cebu's best baby back ribs.
The place was packed with diners at the old Spanish house converted into a restaurant on Ranudo Street. As soon as we all sat and introduced ourselves, we immediately talked about travel. We helped Lauren make his itinerary for his Bohol trip, and Mary Joy assisted Mariah to find an English tutor by offering herself to tutor for free. Good luck to Mariah. I hope she will not be speaking in tongues after her sessions with Mary Joy. lol! The group also made some small planned trips in the future like fishing at Viki's hometown in Bohol province, visiting that school that needs children's books in a remote village in the town of Carcar, and the summer 2009 Southeast Asia tour.

We didn't wanna spend the whole night talking about travel so we hopped on to the next meet-up venue at Mango Square.
Mango Square is Cebu's cramped version of Kaohsan Road. This is the city's place to hangout if you wanna chill out or party  at the bars and videoke joints, all adjacent to one another not on a long stretch like Kaohsan, but in a quadrangle extending to both sides of Mango Avenue in downtown Cebu. Beer and food are at amazingly low prices so the place attracts gimikeros(party/fun enthusiasts) all night long. As soon as we got to the place, I immediately noticed and felt some slight Kaohsan vibe. We  got  a  private room at the GIMIK BARKADA KTV videoke  joint where we took turns singing our lungs out and laughing at ourselves as we sing and dance to a mixture of Asian and English songs(Whitney Houston, Mariah Carrey, Elton John, depeche mode, etc.,korean songs, and voltes 5, otso-otso, boom tarat, etc.
) Ren and Mary Joy did a Mariah Carrey/Whitney Houston showdown, Racky became the Willie Revillame of the night, and Lauren, the Korean pop artist. I can't drink my Red Horse straight as my tummy's bloated from laughing. We partied at the videoke till past 1:00 am when Mary Joy sang out her farewell song. Did we go home after the videoke? Nope, meet-up is not yet finished.

We all packed ourselves into my vintage ,worn-out, but still engine-sturdy '98 Honda City sedan road trip buddy and drove off to the seaside town of Liloan, north of Cebu. Liloan is where you find one of the best known landmarks in Cebu, the lighthouse at Bagacay Point. We drove for about 45 minutes through the dark, unlit northern provincial road. We continued to sing along to MP3ipod music as we drove past the unlit, dark road going up to the lighthouse.
After we passed by Catarman village and were moving uphill we saw the imposing lighthouse standing masjestically and silently amidst the dark, with its revolving light rays reaching far and wide towards the horizon illuminating the ocean below.
I parked the car and as soon as we got out, all of us were looking up, awe-struck with the hypnotic magical sight of the giant lighthouse rays that were moving up above us in a soft, slow, circular motion. And we were the only earthlings present in the vicinity at that moment, standing under the huge umbrella of lights. I felt like I was in the twilight zone, or some X-files territory. We chilled for a moment, then we found a spot at the stairs at the entrance doorway of the lighthouse where we sat and  continued  our countless travel stories covering the mystical  island of  Siquijor, Camiguin,Surigao, Agusan,Negros, Laos, Java, Borneo, Palau, France,Russia, New York, Vietnam, etc.
etc. Motivated by the twilight zone ambiance, Racky and Albert talked about mysterious travel experiences that freaked out Viki. We went on with our travel tales then we finally realized it was almost 4:00 am so we decided to drive back to the city, as we continued singing on the road.
Wow, another experience  that I never expected to turn out that amazing. I thought it will be just a simple TB meet-up dinner with my old TB friend Racky and the newbies, but it turned to be a memorable TB meet-up. Aja aja, Cebu TBs! Be happy, irregardless! Ayo-ayo mo tanan! (All be good!)

racky_tn      - Racky
cutekivi        - Viki
renessy       - Ren
LaurenPark - Lauren
MyJoy          - Mary Joy
Albert          - will open TB account soon
maria_park - maria
ted332        - Ted

Please feel free to contact any of the above TBs for any assistance on travel to Cebu and the Visayas region. :)

SoloSister says:
Awesome to see virtual friends become real friends.
I hope I get to come to one soon.
ted332 says:
Siempre kasi kaw pangatlo nagsmile! ha ha ha! Thanks Chris! Hmp Mega Meet-up sa Manila wala ka.... Happy birthday na lang! :)
abubu says:
nafeature pala ito! naks!
Posted on: Jul 10, 2008
Mariah, MyJoy(Mary Joy), cutekivi(…
Mariah, MyJoy(Mary Joy), cutekivi…
LaurenPark(Lauren) w/ Mary Joy