So rewarding, yet soooo tiring!!

Temecula Travel Blog

is this not Blue Steel?!
I am absolutely freaking exhausted. Not to mention mortified.

Maribel is my favorite baby of all my friends' babies. I know I'm not supposed to have a favorite, but she's IT. When I met her at barely 1 and a half months old, she had this insatiable curiosity and openness that belied her newly-formed looks. It was as if she were challenging the world to look at near-newborns in a different way.

Meeting here again at 8 months was such a pleasure. She's slightly more reserved than she was at 1 and a half months but we got along beyond splendidly. I think it's because we are exactly the same intelligence level. She's uber-bright for an 8-month old, and I'm seriously dumb for a 28 year old. So we saw eye to eye on many things, hers communicated in gibberish and mine communicated with hugs and kisses.
Asleep on my bed
Anyone who knows me knows that I communicate much better in that form than with words.

Maribel sports a cutting edge curly mohawk these days and an intoxicating smile that she unleashes fairly often. She is very strong but is just starting to learn to crawl. Her favorite thing to put in her mouth other than her binky are her toes. =) We spent a lovely morning together afer her breakfast (considering I got like 4 hours of sleep total). She promptly decided to nap on my pillow at 7:30am, so I laid a hand on her middle, scootched a corner of my pillow and lay down with her trying to get a few more minutes of sleep.

Within minutes of the morning, I pick her up in her carriage to transport her and my stupid purse slides off my arm and straight into her face.
The family! (in 100 degree weather)
Not a peep. Just a defensive blink. This girl is stoic, doesn't cry for silly reasons and generally has an amazing disposition!

But today got rough. At South Coast winery, we had lunch in their enormous dining room. I had placed her next to me just far away enough from the table so that if she fell forward, she would not hit the table. But her mom had seen her reaching for the table and so pulled her up RIGHT to the sharp corner. And of course the minute I saw this, Maribel tipped over and hit her EYE on the freaking corner. Oh lord it was bad. You can see her poor bruise under her eye and she hollered not so much due to the pain, but because we had to ice it right away and she shrieked for a good 20 minutes while my heart broke into 1,000 pieces.

Her father, being a doctor, started talking about occipital fractures and other medical terms and I'm freaking out!! Oh dear god the poor baby.
South Coast Vineyard

And while Nicole is trying to ice the baby's eye, she's fidgeting as if her life depended on it and she HITS HER HEAD on the arm of the chair and lets out a wail that rivals most mammalian wails.. It's really not her day, the poor thing.

It's all much better as we head to the various wineries.. no more injuries, a lot of strolling and chatting with new strangers, who adored her and thought she was my baby - hehee! =) I definitely got to see all the responsibilities (again) of having a little one! Though its an exhausting thing, the pros definitely outweigh the cons =)

Tonight, after eating too much junk food, I offered to take care of Maribel while her mom and dad went to dinner. She was put down, but started crying soon after in such a way that her binkie would not soothe her.
South Coast Vineyard
She seems to like lying down on my pillow so I brought her to bed with me and it is one of the most delightful and bonding experiences I've ever had =) Of course I haven't had to change diapers and such so this was mostly a positive experience =) All in all I have a newfound respect for parents and all the exhaustion and craziness they go through. I can't even imagine being a single parent after witnessing a good number of parental sets endure newborndom with barely their sanity! =)

Right I'm supposed to talk about Temecula now, eh? Cause this is a travel website and all. It's hot here. Lots of wineries along Rancho California Road. None of which I've ever heard of though! =( I would peek my head in and then walk around pushing Maribel in her stroller while Leon and Nicole wine-tasted. So that was my taste of Temecula. And I wasn't able to stay awake long enough to hang out with Tiffybear, unfortunately =( Next time, though!
Interior of South Coast Vineyard
Interior of South Coast Vineyard
Wiens winery
Wiens winery
Maribels signature look #2
Maribel's signature look #2
Maribel giving an extra special po…
Maribel giving an extra special p…
Nicole outside Weins winery