South Padre Island, Tx

South Padre Island Travel Blog

With today’s gas prices, its expensive to drive to the grocery store, much less driving for a vacation. It is times like this when you grab a group of friends and split the gas six ways, which won’t leave your wallet running on empty.

Just recently, my five closest girlfriends and I climbed into my Dodge Durango and took a trip to South Padre Island, Tx. A six hour drive from Austin that had us longing for the beach. We decided to travel at the beginning of June, when its not so hot outside and not too crowded either.

Being budget conscious mom’s we rented a one bedroom condo that slept six, purchased groceries to cook meals and checked the internet for coupons for extra activities.
parasailing
In the 4 days, 3 nights we were there, we were able to experience the exhilarating tandem parasailing, snorkeling in the gulf and wave crashing on the dolphin tour, all for less than $100 through Breakaway Cruises. We also enjoyed the relaxing “lazy river” at Schlitterbahn and the 34 miles of sparkling beaches that South Padre Island is known for. The evenings were spent dancing away at Louie’s Backyard, a local hot-spot that has bayside dining and a great view to watch the Friday night fireworks. Our last night we spent singing karaoke at Texas Moon restaurant & bar, with the outgoing staff and some relentless customers.

Unfortunately, the day came when we had to leave our new favorite vacation spot. On the long trip home, we were all laughing, reminiscing about the great time we had had and we were all impressed that we were able to getaway for less than $300 each. I realized that this was a great way to travel. It gave each of us a way to reconnect and fulfill the need to escape reality.
GSTAgnt says:
What a way to do a vacation on a budget! I found some other great ideas for visiting South Padre Island here too:
Posted on: Oct 27, 2008
sylviandavid says:
What a fun blog... you have a real flair for writing... thanks for sharing it. Sylvia
Posted on: Jul 04, 2008