Day 2 - 'DAM' this place is cool!!!!

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Coffee Shop in Dam Square

Luckily, by the second morning we had become accustomed to the Tram systems and easily jumped aboard at Kinkerstraat heading towards Dam Square.  This place, like many European Squares is absolutely buzzing with activity, from the tourists and natives, from the entertainment among the streets, even from the numerous cafe's, resturants and shops that border the area.  From the square there are many smaller 'straats' that lead off in different directions; these tiny cobbled alley ways were my favourite places to explore.....awash with specialist boutiques, drug paraphenalia shops, gorgeous little cafe's, and of course a vast selection of coffee shops, each trying to out-do the next; making sure that thier shop was the brightest coloured, or the funkiest design or theme.

Near the Anne Frank House I think!
 Even the ways you could buy the weed differed from place to place.  In some coffeeshops they would have a paper catalogue for you to choose from, showing close-up shots of the different ganja batches.  Other places had pull out draws for you to smell or touch the potenial winner, in fact in some areas it was like being in a store, where you have a hot-plate of yummy dishes to choose from, only this time, instead of wedges...pizza slices or baked goods on display.....well you had about 20 different hues and forms of weed! What a sight!    I believe we did our up-most to try as many types as we could, but as always the 'arse-eye' set in your body begins to shut down, only willing to co-operate for offers of munchies...or sleep!

The arcitecture in Amsterdam is stunning, in fact perhaps my favourite of anywhere ive seen; so dramatically different from what I am used to in England; three or four stories high, terraced together in brown brick effect, all with quaint pointed roofs and massive sash windows.

Typical canal scene
  Thats perhaps why my entry into the 'Annes House' was my most memorable part of the holiday.  I was speachless to be emersed in such an important historical location.  I remember looking out of the window of the main room of the 'Annex', thinking to myself, that poor girl would have looked out this window all those years ago, seen the same view as I am right this very moment.  It really was tiny, hardly a den, let alone a home for two families for over two years.  It certainly made me feel ever so slightly more appreciative of my life when you left through the front door.  It was an experience I will never forget, and would jump at the chance to return.  God bless those poor souls so lost thier lives during the appaling time of The Holocast.

Amsterdam