The Russian City

Sitka Travel Blog

Transportation to Sitka

Arriving in Sitka, we were unable to port at any pier, as there were none to port at.  We were transferred to the mainland by the small excursion boats that carried approximately 25-30 people per boat.

My excursion for the day was not booked until later in the day, but I wanted to get off ship and see what there was to see before I had to leave.  When I got to the landing site, and stepped onto the island that is Sitka, I realized, there wasn’t much to this little place.  I headed up the road to where I hoped there was a town center and things to do.  What I found had me all a twitter.  I discovered internet access via a small computer shop.

absolutely beautiful
  Given that internet access on the ship is approximately $3.00 per minute, I was in heaven to check e-mail and such.

Wasting about a half an hour I headed back to the boat launch and waited for my tour to depart.  We first headed to St. Michael's Cathedral to explore the first Russian Orthodox cathedral in America, to view priceless icons and religious artifacts.  It wasn’t much in the way of great cathedrals in the European sense, but it was nice.  Then we were off to a “traditional” Russian dance demonstration.  The word “honky-tonk” does little justice for this display.  The dancers, I’m sure, work hard at what they do, but they are nothing more than stay-at-home moms who do this in their spare time.  After the horror that was the dance show, we headed to the cultural center to see the many hand crafted totem poles and other exhibits.

totem prettyness

Once finished with the foreplay, I was given what I wanted with the reason I booked this tour in the first place: a trip to the raptor center.  We were able to get up close and personal with many different types of eagles, hawks, ravens, and other birds of prey.  The place was amazing!  It was set in the woods and had this peacefulness about it that made me want to spend the rest of my trip right there.  After we were given our tour and able to wander around for a while, it was time to go back to the ship.  There are other things I would have done while in Sitka, but the raptor center was the best thing ever!

Sitka