Last Alaskian City

Ketchikan Travel Blog

Our final stop on Alaska soil was Ketchikan.  Unfortunately, I was not able to see any of the town other than where we had made port.  I was one of the first off of the boat and one of the last back on.

My excursion for the day was a boat ride from Ketchikan, through the bay to view the fjords.  The boat ride was very cold, but quite beautiful.  I spent most of the time on top outside watching for bald eagles, seals, bears and any other wild life I could spot.

We stopped to watch a bunch of seals sunning themselves on some rocks for a while before continuing to the fjords.

When we got to our spot, I was amazed at the beauty of the fjords.  It was like an Ansel Adams picture had come to life.  The way the mountains had been carved away my millions of years of water was so amazing.  We stayed in this little cove amongst the fjords for about 30 minutes so we could all get the photos we wanted and make sure everyone got their fill.

When we got back into town, I made a quick run into the big tourist gift shop right there at the pier and picked up a few things for friends & family, then hustled myself back to the ship.  When I got back to the room, Jen was back from her romp in town (she didn’t have an excursion that day) and we traveled upstairs for lunch.

I really wish that we had been able to stay longer in Ketchikan so I wouldn’t have felt so rushed. I also would have liked to see more of the city, but such is life when you are on a cruise.  You are a victim of the schedule.

WaltJake says:
What an amazing state...I sure hope I make it here someday!
Posted on: Feb 08, 2007
fredleal says:
sounds so beautiful! i love these cold snowy weathers... too bad we don't have much of that here in brazil! heheheh
Posted on: Jan 14, 2007