Time to Move On

Anchorage Travel Blog

Banner at the Anchorage Airport

With about twenty aircraft this year, the company that I work for has gotten a little too big for my liking. Its growing pains shudder like an out-of-balance tailrotor from corporate headquarters to the pilots and mechanics at the remote field sites. Smaller companies operating four or five helicopters tend to be more relaxed and better organized. I opted out. Instead of to Bethel, my new prepaid ticket was for Chicago. A rental car would get me home from there.

I had more than four hours to wait for the Alaska Airlines 'red-eye-special' south. I tried calling my cousin Roger but he was probably still out at his cabin in Willow Creek. He goes out there every weekend. I had plenty of time to go into town but my preference for Alaska is being out in the bush and not on a barstool. Besides, I would have had to lug my laptop, daypack, and shoulder bag. I went through security once to get a bite to eat then back out to the street to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes. I appreciated the free wireless internet connection at Anchorage International Airport and the time passed quickly.

oldschoolbill says:
Good call Bigger is not better
Posted on: Aug 08, 2009