Nomeward Bound

McGrath Travel Blog

Skies clearing in the Alaska Range

Gray and I got out of Wasilla about 11:20 in the morning. Without hauling the three bulky cargo nets and long-lines, our load was much easier to pack and better organized than when I inherited the ship already in the field two weeks ago. Beads of rain streaked off the Plexiglas windshield as we headed toward Rainy Pass to cross the Alaska Range. The film of sealant that I used to seal the upper cabin windows kept us dry inside.

Our route took us directly over my cousin Roger's cabin outside Willow Creek but traffic at the town's nearby airport did not allow for circling to get photos from the air. Besides, with the marginal weather we needed to conserve Jet-A to reach our next fuel stop in McGrath should weather worsen.

The ceiling lifted to about 5,000 feet as we entered the winding passes that would led us into the interior of Alaska. Rain subsided and the sun even appeared in places along the climbing, winding route. After about an hour we traversed the mountains to enter the flatlands of the Kuskokwim Basin and continued west into McGrath. Along with two airplanes, we had to wait for someone to come out to the airport to unlock the fuel pumps. Thunderstorms were brewing toward the west - the direction of our next fuel stop.

Rainy departure from Wasilla