Going to Work

Chicago Travel Blog

Chicago Midway

Morning traffic on I-55 toward Midway Airport rapidly slowed to a near stand-still. I exited to take a chance on surface streets which turned out to be a mistake. Though traffic moved at a slightly faster pace, I had no idea where I was going and ended up deep in an industrial area with no outlets. My fuel low light came on. I had to backtrack two miles to find the major eastbound street (55th), then travel another mile before finding a gas station, surly on fumes. Then I overshot my turn to Midway and had to double back yet again. I cursed myself for not having a city map. Fortunately I left the house a bit early and managed to get to the National/Alamo rental car return in time to prevent hefty hourly fees which would go into effect at 9:00 a.m. - twenty-four hours after picking up the car in Escanaba.

I like Chicago Midway - the rental car return is quick and easy, located just a few hundred yards from the terminal. And the airport is close to Carol and Dick's place in Hinsdale and it is smaller and much easier to transit than O'Hare. Check-in went fast and smooth. The two hour wait for my flight to Denver went equally fast - must be a sign of old age kicking in...

cmgervais says:
I like Midway too...great airport. I did all my flying lessons from there. That was rather exciting (and harrowing at times!) as a student pilot. But the controllers there are incredibly on the ball and professional... not the case everywhere I am afraid.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
goezi says:
Frustratin' stuff. Had a few drives up and down like that myself.
Posted on: Jul 26, 2008